Seeking Personal Experiences with Colostomy Reversal

Replies
Views
madronaapt
Dec 04, 2023 6:26 am

I am unsure about getting my colostomy reversed. I don't trust that the doctors are including everything about the reversal, both pros and cons. Would appreciate your input about yourself (not others). Thanks very much!

AlexT
Dec 04, 2023 4:18 pm

I think they overlook a lot of things not intentionally but because they either 1) don't know or 2) don't find little things as a priority like a patient does when dealing with all this gibberish, especially at home and on your own. I have no possibility of a reversal, but I'd have to really think about having one for a number of reasons if I could. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mysterious Mose
Dec 04, 2023 7:45 pm

My surgeon was quite straightforward about what life may be like with an ileostomy reversal. His input, plus the input of many members here, helped me make my decision to not have a reversal. But, I do not have a colon, and a reversal for me would mean a constant need to know where a bathroom is, plus the high probability of nighttime accidents. You have a colostomy, so you have at least some colon left. It would be helpful to know how much. If you search this site, you will find a number of posts about colostomy reversal. The more colon you have, the better your chances are to return to something resembling normal. But, none of this is set in stone. Hopefully, others with actual experience will chime in, but I suggest you search the site. There is a lot of information here.

Daniel

Beachboy
Dec 04, 2023 8:05 pm

My wife and I spent an hour consulting with an excellent surgeon about reversal. I have a colostomy with plenty of rectal stump remaining. But, I underwent 46 Tomo radiation treatments for prostate cancer, three months prior to undergoing surgery resulting in a colostomy.

The surgeon warned me that tissues have permanent damage from radiation, reducing healing. As much as I would love to get rid of the stoma, I chose to refuse reversal. My surgeon was willing to do it but admitted later that he wished more patients would not push for reversal. Outcomes vary widely.

Research as much as possible, and ask pointed questions. A tough decision for sure.

Good luck.

iMacG5
Dec 04, 2023 9:06 pm

We need to remember we're not all the same and we might not respond the same as others. Though we might feel similar in age, gender, size, and diagnosis, there are so many variables among us it's just impossible to predict precisely how we will fare based on someone else's experience. It certainly improves our odds if we listen carefully to the experts who studied and learned the science and art of treatment and those who experienced it.

Wish you the best,

Mike

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Play
warrior
Dec 05, 2023 6:27 am

You nailed it, Mike.

Lindaby131
Jun 03, 2024 10:05 pm

I was told they could technically reverse my colostomy, but I would need diapers for the rest of my life (I don't have a sphincter, though!). Everyone has different circumstances, though, so you may have success. How wonderful if you can!

madronaapt
Jun 04, 2024 3:17 am
Reply to Beachboy

Thanks very much for your reply!

madronaapt
Jun 04, 2024 3:19 am
Reply to iMacG5

Thanks so much!

madronaapt
Jun 04, 2024 3:20 am
Reply to Lindaby131

Appreciate your reply!