Skin Around Stoma Question

Replies
Views
tnmontan9721
Dec 04, 2023 6:18 pm

I read that the skin around the stoma should look just like other skin on the abdomen. Mine does not look red or infected, but it does not look just like other skin on the abdomen. It has a shiny appearance. Is that considered normal? Anyone else see the same? Why would it look shiny? I don't have a local WOC nurse. I use Hollister products for cleaning and skin care. It's a 6-hour round trip to a large city.

Bill
Dec 04, 2023 6:52 pm

Hello tnmontan9721.
I do like the concept that there is such a thing as 'normal' in stoma terms, although I am not convinced that it bears any relation to the facts of stoma life. 
The skin all around my stoma (years ago & from the start) has been the sort of colour you would see with a nasty blood blister. It has rarely bothered me much as I put it down to the possibility that the intestines are right near the surface in that area and that is probably what I am seeing.
Many people 'suffer' from skin problems, and I get the impression that this may be the 'normal' for ostomates. However, if it was written that "skin around the stoma should look JUST like other skin on abdomen", then it must be 'right' -Unless they are wishful thinking or lying! ( I can rarely tell the difference nowadays!)
There must be many reasons why skin might look 'shiny'. The first thing that springs to mind is pregnancy. This condition is renown for making skin shiny. My own skin can often look shiny when I sweat and it seems to push the oils to the surface.

It doesn't seem as if there is too much to worry about regarding shiny skin but perhaps other people can chip in with ideas.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

eefyjig
Dec 04, 2023 7:07 pm

Mine doesn't look like the rest of my abdomen either. I used to use moist “skin prep” pads before applying my ring and bag, and they always created a bit of a sheen. I don't use them anymore, but my stoma skin definitely still looks different.

Beachboy
Dec 04, 2023 7:50 pm

I agree with Bill... wishful thinking.

The skin around my stoma is shiny too. It's because the skin is distressed by having the intestine poked through it.

There is also a medium red ring around my stoma, at the base where it is coming through the skin. Been that way since the first day, post-op. Doesn't cause me any trouble. Doesn't get worse or better no matter what skin care product or barrier ring I try out.

If your skin blisters, weeps, starts scaling off, or turns bright red... consult a stoma nurse or doctor right away.

If your stoma changes color from red to grey or black... get to an emergency room right away.

AlexT
Dec 04, 2023 10:29 pm

Your skin is fine. Obviously, with something stuck to it for days, it won't look exactly like the other skin. As long as it's not reddish or discolored in any way, you're good.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Happy-but-Newbie
Dec 05, 2023 9:55 am

Ciao! Not the longest experience, but I had the same question last week and waited to hear what my stoma nurse would say about it... as I already had an appointment set :-)

My skin around the stoma is not broken, it's actually quite healthy, but it's much redder than the rest of the skin on the abdomen... and you see so many pictures online where the stoma is like a red rose on a mantle of snow-white skin!!!

Well, it turns out that mine never will, as I am wearing a convex wafer which pressures the skin around the stoma... of course, it puts pressure on the skin and of course, it always looks like a hematoma more or less...

But it's perfectly normal and healthy.

Mark1
Dec 07, 2023 11:22 pm

Mine looks the same. This will make people laugh and call me stupid. I'm not bothered lol. I'm a very hairy person. I put hair removal cream on my stomach as the bag wasn't sticking. Yeah, trust me, don't do that. Lesson learned. I could not even put a bag on for 3 days. I was blistered and sore, and yes, I'm an idiot. Just didn't think 😅

Beachboy
Dec 09, 2023 2:25 am
Reply to Mark1

Nah, you're not an idiot. Now you have some experience. I use an electric trimmer to get most of the hairs. Then I shower. After patting the stoma area dry, I use small scissors to carefully cut hairs the trimmer missed. It's not important to get all the hair off.