Wax Ring/ barrier ring…help!

Replies
Views
JustMeRLB

Hello I am wondering what tricks or tips you all have for me with applying the barrier ring/wax ring. I have tried to put it on the wafer… doesn’t seem to get close enough to my stoma, I have tried cutting it and putting it around my oblong stoma… I will get it perfect but when I pull my fingers away… it moves the ring…. :/ I am wondering what things have been successful for everyone here. 
and prior to asking: I have an ileostomy still healing from surgery; I have to use the ring, I cut my wafer 1/8” wider so my stoma has room to expand without injuring her; she’s 25mm x 33mm approximately… been using Hollister one pieces, and trying coloplast one pieces. 
I have been having to change every day or every other day due to leakage. Also been using stoma powder and skin barrier pads… I have open sores where my stitches are that occasionally bleed. So I’m trying to get those healed… 

help! 
ty, rhonda 

Ileoc

Hi Rhonda,

Perhaps you should try using a two piece appliance.  It's much easier to guage where you're putting the wafer so you can get a good fit.  I use 3M Cavilon Barrier film and, when it's totally dry, apply the Eakin Seal next, making sure it's tight against my stoma.  I don't push down hard on it so it doesn't stick to my hand.  I just set it in place.  Then I carefully put on the wafer, making sure it is right in place with the Seal.  Then I apply pressure all around.  This works well for me, even with my stoma that pulls a bit under my skin when it's working.

Good luck!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy

I use 3M Cavilon swab barrier film.  Let it dry.  Then it's ring time.

I take it out of it's plastic container, keeping the 2 thin plastic covers on.  Then put ring under an arm or between my legs to warm it up for a minute.  Then peel off plastic covers.  Use scissors to cut throgh one side of the ring.  Put on nitrile gloves.  I squeeze and gently the stretch the ring along its entire length, starting in the middle.  Beginning at stoma bottom, and at center of ring, I fit ring around my stoma.  Ends of ring come together at stoma top.  Small gap?  I gently pull back each ring side, squeeze and stretch a little more, then refit it.  It's OK to have ring ends overlap.  I lightly press gloved fingers on ring to seat it.

Wafer goes on next.  I cut a larger than necessary hole, letting the ring do the main sealing.  

eefyjig

You can also heat up one side of the ring with a hair blower and then put that side against your skin. I think it sticks better and won’t pull away as you remove your fingers from the ring. 

xnine

I use a Salts ring, found them to last the longest. The ring is a little larger then I need so I fold it over a bit to get my size, squeeze the fold down and cut off any excess. I find it easier to do this than stretching out a smaller one. I fit the ring then use an empty tape spool as a steam roller over the backing to set the ring. If you do not use the backing between spool and ring the spool will pull off the ring.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
IGGIE

G-Day Justme,  Why don't you try these Ring Seals from "Salts" that's the name of the company, they will send you samples just ring them. As you can see there is a very soft collar and it directs the poo forward so it helps to stop leaks. You have to measure the diameter of the Stoma and order the seal by your size, mine is 29m/m diameter so I order DC29 Regards IGGIE

JustMeRLB
Reply to IGGIE

iggie, 

thanks for your recommendation. 
my stoma is oblong and sticks out about .5” so I don’t think it would work for me. I think stool would pool in the collar and leak down. 
I wish it was something I could see working. 

IGGIE
Reply to JustMeRLB

Are you using a Convex Wafer, if not give it a go I swear by them. Regards IGGIE

JustMeRLB
Reply to IGGIE

I have 2 samples I will try. So far, I caked really good, using spray calvilon with wax ring and I think I’m ok rn. Day 2 and everything seems tight.