Could I Have a Colostomy Blockage? How to Identify and Address It

Replies
Views
lkgal
Jan 08, 2024 11:54 pm

I have only had my colostomy since August and have something every day. The last 24 hours I have had nothing. Could I have a blockage and how would I know? Thank you.

AlexT
Jan 09, 2024 2:08 am

It'll get more and more painful. Fluids and massage your stomach.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,834 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy
Jan 09, 2024 3:30 am

I have a colostomy, 1 year post-op. Sometimes I have no output for 2 days. Other times I have to drain the bag 2 times in an hour. Just the way it works sometimes.

A blockage will cause pain. If you experience consistent pain with no output for a couple of days, try what AlexT recommended. Drink lots of fluids and gently massage your stomach. If pain persists, go to the hospital emergency room. Do not go to an urgent care place (they can't help you).

ron in mich
Jan 09, 2024 2:31 pm

Hi Ikgal, drink a 20 oz. bottle of Coke or a glass of fruit juice. That should help to get things moving.

kittybou
Jan 09, 2024 11:47 pm

Or beets. You will know right away if beets don't pass. They make your output very pretty!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
lkgal
Jan 10, 2024 12:42 am

Thank you for all the answers. After two days, it is working again. The information and advice were very helpful. Thank you all so much. This really is an adjustment.

kittybou
Jan 10, 2024 1:22 am
Reply to lkgal

Things get better with time. They did with me! 😸🥳

tnmontan9721
Jan 22, 2024 7:20 pm

Does anyone recommend a laxative? I haven't done anything in 3 days and had terrible pain last night. I hope it's not a blockage!

Beachboy
Jan 22, 2024 7:38 pm

You should go to the hospital emergency room. Don't go to an urgent care; they can't help you there. Blockage is serious. A laxative might make it worse.