Fitness Progress

Replies
Views
Danno

Fitness progress from September - now. 

After my surgery in Jan 2023 I was 145lbs  now I’m at 185lbs/15% body fat. Aiming to get down to 12% by summer. 

I’ve been taking protein, creatine, and pre workout throughout this journey maximizing my efforts.

I’m also lifting my heaviest weights and constantly working to failure and hitting PR’s weekly despite having a stoma. 

I also work out my abs with leg raises, weighted crunches, planks, and various oblique exercises.

Intense fitness is possible. Just have to work up to it and know your body/limits.

Capojapo

Hello,

I just had surgery and it’s been a little over 6 weeks post op. 

I know it’s still early for me to hit the gym but should I work on my core first before working out the other body parts?

what type of exercises did you do when you started back weight training?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,522 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Danno
Reply to Capojapo

It’s extremely difficult to give you a safe answer. 

Everyone is different and it’s important to take things very slow and listen to your body.

I may be able to lift heavy weight, while someone else might sneeze and get a hernia. 

Experience with training helps. When I first got back to the gym I was very careful with my form and breathing techniques. I would never hold my breath when lifting heavy, which is usually the case for some trying to get in their last few reps. This will put unwanted pressure on your core. 

Just take it slow and really pay attention to your body. Even to this day I’ll switch exercises if it feels off. 

Keep in mind that I have like 20 years of conditioning and training prior to surgery. I’m also pushing myself more than I should sometimes, which is a risk that I’ve chosen to participate in. 

AlexT

If those pics are your 145 and 185 pictures, you look physically much better/healthier at 185 than the lighter weight.  Hats off to keeping that physically fit, wish I could motivate myself that much. 

Caz67

Well done Danno, I agree with Alex. Xx

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Danno
Reply to AlexT

The first picture was from just a few months ago. I looked very unhealthy and much smaller after my surgery. I do feel much healthier now that I’ve been able to bring fitness back in full force. 

Bellybliss

You look amazing. What was your first step post surgery for fitness?  I lift 4 days a week and so Pilates or yoga off days. Surgery is scheduled in a week. The lack of exercise post surgery has been my biggest concern. exercise makes me feel good mentally as well as physically so scared I will get a little depressed without it. 

Thank you! 

DBJ
Reply to Danno

Hi:

I have a urostomy and within the past 3 years i am having increased kidney stones that have to be removed from my right kidney through my back. I am physically fit, and eat a kidney stone diet along with drinking 3 liters of water daily. unfortunately i am unable to reduce my kidney stones because the stones are caused from chronic infection from the urostomy. (i never thought taking the bladder out and wearing a bag that this would happen).  So far no hernia around the stoma. I work on strengthing my core at least twice a week. Taking lots of time getting strong in the core due to 12 abdominal surgeries with lots of internal adhesions. 

I love the gym and doing my weight lifting, along with yoga and cardio-drumming. Now since my last surgery i can do no strenous excerise, so far doing the trendmill for 45 minutes and daily walking. I have two more weeks to go and am bored.

I love your post about ostmates who can live a healthy life style, and you have done well in your journey and set a great example! You have done WELL!

I feel so much healthier and better living the healthy life style, and eating a healthy diet managed to loose my extra weight 55 lib in a year.  September 2023- i climbed up Titon mountain in Yellow stone and did 20,00 steps straight up a narrow rocky path-it was a challenge but, i was proud i had the stamia to do the climb. Pretty fun for an ostmate.