Ileostomy to Colostomy: Seeking Advice and Reassurance

Replies
Views
jalrein
Feb 26, 2024 3:15 am

I've had an ileostomy for 3 years. I'm going in for surgery to have the ileostomy reversed and hooked back up. Parastomal hernia repaired. Ostomy moved to the other side of the abdomen and switched to a colostomy. In the past 3 years, every time I had surgery, something went wrong. I'm due for some good luck. I have heard all about how a colostomy works compared to an ileostomy. I'm just wondering so many things. Is a 2-piece system like I have now okay? Do I really only have to change the whole appliance once or twice a week? Should I do the same things the night before I have a change due? Marshmallows in the morning? Bananas? Do I really only have to empty the bag 1-2 times a day compared to the 5-6 times a day I do now? Okay, my anxiety has gotten the better of me.......

Beachboy
Feb 26, 2024 3:47 am

I have a colostomy. 1 year post-op.

Colostomy output is thicker and far less acidic than ileostomy output. I use a Hollister 2-piece system.

3 months after surgery, I developed a peristomal hernia. It doesn't interfere with my wafer or bag. I haven't had any leaks. I change the wafer every 7 days. I change bags every few days. My stoma is quiet in the morning, so that's when I change the wafer. I don't do anything to slow output.

Sometimes I go 2 days with nothing coming out. Then there are days I empty a bag 2 times in an hour. That's just the way my system operates.

Hernias are tough to prevent. You could try wearing a support belt right after surgery, then for a few months. Unknown if that will prevent a hernia, but worth a try.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,840 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory
Feb 26, 2024 1:45 pm

Good luck with your surgery. You are going to do fine. I think you will like your colostomy much better than an ileostomy.

ron in mich
Feb 26, 2024 2:06 pm

Hi Jalrein, good luck and ask the surgeon if you can do irrigation after the colostomy heals. You may not need a bag.

terrizajdel
Feb 29, 2024 3:07 pm

Best of luck. I cannot compare, but I have a colostomy, and it has evolved in 2 years and 9 months from terrifying to no big deal. I forget about it now until Moana makes noise or the bag fills up, and that's what I hope will happen for you too. Try to stay calm and have faith that it is all going to work out.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister