Advice Needed: Food Tips to Avoid Blockages

Replies
Views
Megs
Feb 26, 2024 12:02 pm

Had a blockage two days ago. I deduce it must have been the pickled red cabbage which I chewed very well. It cleared after 24 hours. I was about to go to A&E. I'm having a few gripey pains spaced out now but very tolerable. Haven't had a blockage for three years so it's made me very careful about all foods. Any advice regarding foods would be appreciated. You'd think I would know everything by now.

Cheekymonkey111
Feb 26, 2024 12:14 pm

Glad it seems to be sorted. Fortunately, I've never had a blockage, which is surprising as I inhale instead of chew 😂

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Feb 26, 2024 12:15 pm

Hi Meg,

Hope you're well. I love red cabbage and find it does feel uncomfortable on the way out. Especially if I haven't chewed it properly. I tend to find a fizzy drink helps with a blockage, but like yourself, it's very rare I have one.

Isabelle x

Morning glory
Feb 26, 2024 1:28 pm

Cabbage is hard on me as well. I had a blockage about 25 years ago from 🍌 peppers. I haven't eaten them since. Just make sure you chew and stay hydrated. We never stop learning.

eefyjig
Feb 26, 2024 2:12 pm

Hi Meg, my one and only complete blockage in nine years was due to quinoa that, apparently, continued to expand in my small intestines. It's not the hard foods; rather, the foods that can become like paste or cement that I am most careful with.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Daisy2023
Feb 26, 2024 6:15 pm
Reply to Morning glory

Interesting to know about the banana peppers. I haven't tried them yet. Beets for me, believe it or not. Are radishes okay, anyone?

aTraveler
Feb 26, 2024 6:53 pm
• Increased risk of blockage (harder separation):

• Ileostomy only: Mushrooms, asparagus, beans, cabbage salad, coconut, corn, dried fruit, grapefruit, peas, pineapples, nuts, oranges, popcorn, raw carrots, raw green vegetables, unpeeled tomatoes

Some examples of foods that can cause blockages are:

• Apple peel, raw cabbage, celery, Chinese vegetables, whole kernels, coconuts, mushrooms, oranges, nuts, popcorn, corn, dried fruit, hotdogs/sausages, pineapple, skins from fruits and vegetables.

• If you or your child experiences belly cramps, watery stool, a swollen stoma, or nausea, it could be a sign of food blockage. Consult a nurse and physician.

Reduced risk of blockage (easier separation):

• Ileostomy only: Fibrous fruit and vegetables (such as oranges and spinach) that are pitted and peeled; food that is beaten and well chewed.

Of course, everyone is different. Just be careful when adding new foods to your diet. At first, eat a small amount and chew thoroughly (up to 60 chews).
Hisbiscus
Feb 28, 2024 3:26 pm

I'm sorry to learn of your blockage. I can remember getting a whole lot of those before my hernias were fixed. I'd also get them from eating things I knew I shouldn't.

I can remember lying on the bed lifting my legs with my arms like they tell us to do. What worked for mine usually was either a Coca-Cola or I'd heat up grape juice in the microwave and drink that. I'd also have to take it easy for a couple of days after, sticking to a liquid diet.

Those blockages are painful and scary.