Hollister adapt lubricating deoderant

Replies
Views
Hisbiscus

For those of you that use the adapt lubricating deoderant, I have questions. I was not able to get my M9 in time so I ordered this adapt to suffice until my M9 comes. It's been quite some years since I've used adapt. Since its lubricating can you rinse your pouch with  a water bottle when you empty or will the lube ruin your seal? 

Somehow I'm.remembering something about it maybe loosening up my pouch.  

AlexT

Never been an issue for me. Obviously, just like with M9, once you rinse, you pretty much have to use more. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,623 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

Yes you have to use more after rinsing.

Mysterious Mose

I use a lubricating deodorant and typically use ~150ml of water to flush and another 150ml to rinse. No sealant issues. But, you do need reapply the lubricant. However, I have an ileostomy and Medicare only pays for one bottle of lubricant a month. So, I supplement with Tic Tacs. I do one lubricant and the next 4 times, I use Tic Tacs.

I've seen warnings about water loosening seals. As far as I am concerned, that is an urban myth.

Daniel

Hisbiscus

Thanks all! Yes I figured to put more deoderant in at each empty of course I just wasn't sure of it would loosen from the emollient in the deoderant. But yeah water for sure does loosen after time but better than stool sitting there and decomposing my seal right? 

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Hisbiscus
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Tic tacs sound interesting. My insurance won't pay for any deoderant so I have to pay out of pocket. I ran out last night and it was horrible lol!! In the past i have tried hydrogen peroxide which does work by it made me sick to my stomach. I guess I was tasting it. I may give some tic tacs a try to save also. Thanks for that tip 

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Hisbiscus

Ouch! Hydrogen peroxide is a major irritant and a bleaching agent. I'm not surprised you got sick. One should be careful about what chemicals get poured into an ostomy pouch. Stuff like that should be nowhere near your insides.

Daniel

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Hisbiscus

I use up to 300ml of water 5-7 times a day when emptying my bag. I change my appliance every 7 days. No leaks, no seepage. I even swish the water around my ileum with the last rinse. No issues. If you have a good seal, the water should not affect it.

Daniel

AlexT
Reply to Hisbiscus

Baby oil. You can even get scented. Just don’t overdose on it. 

AlexT
Reply to Hisbiscus

I’m not sure about the water loosening anything, I never had an issue. I literally fill my bag as full as I can without spilling and still being able to close it with warm water, slosh it around while supporting the weight of it. Flush the toilet and empty it all as the toilet water goes down. No splash, no long lasting smell, if any. No excess toilet paper used. Takes about 1 minute to do it all. 

Hisbiscus
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Yea I found that out quickly. I tasted like poisoned I see someone here uses baking soda but I think that would affect our kidneys to some degree. I mean the stoma a piece of the intestine it's going to absorb some of what we put in there right? 

AlexT
Reply to Hisbiscus

I would highly doubt it absorbs anything. Not something I’d worry about. 

Hisbiscus

I'm using this adapt lubricating for a day / and 1/2 now and honestly is doing zilch! Nothing for the pancaking and the odor. I'm really surprised being that it's from hollister. I finally got my M9.in the mail room today thank god but only had enough to buy 3 little 1 ounce bottles. Such struggles we go through. Non ostotomy folks have no clue. But we do have some positives that they dont as well. We dont have to rush to the loo. We can wait for others, if we get diahrhea no big deal its in the bag. Sometimes they can smell worse than ours. 

Anyhow happy to have my m9 but will have to ration. 

Hisbiscus
Reply to AlexT

My ostomy nurse told me that the water would degrade the seal but so will ileostomy poop as it can be more loose. It seens to melt my barrier rings I think as I can see the parts in the bag that fall off melted. Regardless I have to rinse because I do not feel clean if i leave all that stool I'm the bag like that. I do exactly what you are doing Alext. Only I use cold water to try to not melt my ring. 

AlexT
Reply to Hisbiscus

Do the “melted” parts affect your wear time or cause leaks? 

Hisbiscus
Reply to AlexT

Yes it does 

AlexT
Reply to Hisbiscus

Ok, fair enough. Have you ever looked up the ingredients for M9 and what each ingredient is used for? Kinda interesting. 

Hisbiscus
Reply to AlexT

Yes, the ingredients in M9 all appear to be pretty safe and same with the adapt lubricating. I think hollister changed thier formula for the rings maybe in the last few or more years  and could be why they melt with rinsing. I was curious about the lubricating deoderant because its moisturizing. I thought it might loosen things. It sort of did but not any sooner than if I had used nothing.  I usually have to change daily anyhow.

Mysterious Mose

Well, the dose for the lubricants is usually a teaspoon. Highly unlikely that would have an effect on your seal. At least in my experience and opinion. :-)

Hisbiscus
Reply to Mysterious Mose

It did kind of melt the ring as does everything else including water but it did not work for odor at all. At least for me. I did try putting more . I was surprised. Anyhow I was refunded for it due to that and my M9 finally arrived. I'm always up tp trying  new things though.