?Telescoping / prolapsing ileostomy

Replies
Views
christianp

Hello

My ileostomy was formed 4 months ago. On 3 occasions now after fairly heavy gardening and lifting, I’ve noticed that my ileostomy has a pulling / slight pain sensation, protrudes slightly more (I think maybe telescoping out a bit) and at the same time the output turns from porridge like to liquid only. The protrusion goes in a bit if I lie flat. Previous times output and stoma returned to normal after 6-12 hours. So far this time still protruding when I stand up again and output still liquid.
what can I do to prevent this happening, and what can I do if it does happen? I’m normally very physically active in the garden and am worried I’ll be restricted now I have an ileostomy. I tried wearing a support belt but the Velcro keeps coming undone when I move and bend and it’s a real nuisance to keep on when gardening.

warrior

Welcome. Good to have you..

Please..lean in to hear me...you here?..ok....smack..

I am gunna apologise in advance bc its not my nature to go on the defensive of stupidy.

You will be getting scalding my friend..a good scolding bc of what you are doing 4 months post- op. is ridiculous. Unsafe. 

4 months is no time to be doing half of what you are doing.

Didn't yur doctor tell you to take it easy? 

You appear to have created a hernia from your heavy gardening and lifting. Want another one? 

U need a better belt. They are out there. Sit yur butt down. Google hernia belts or osty belts. Others will advise you on other sites.

Whatever u are doing is creating more issues . 

This just annoys me hearing what you are doing so soon and it seems like u never gave thought to consequences. 

Very careless,  man.  Why not drive with a blindfold on. ?

And again apologies to you and members. I am not like this when I respond. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,600 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

aTraveler

"On 3 occasions now after fairly heavy gardening and lifting..."

I am in complete agreement with Warrior's sentiment that you are doing too much too soon. For you to not be aware of the risks is an indictment of your doctors/WOCN. You should have received this advice before you were discharged from the hospital, either verbally or in discharge papers. To be fair, some of us had reached the point where our lives were hanging in the balance and we were not able to do what you were doing even if we wanted to. You may have been advised to take it easy but were used to pushing yourself to exceed expectations. In the case after ostomy surgery, just because you can does not mean you should. My doctors told me to remember the acronym, BLT - be cautious while Bending, Lifting, or Twisting in order to lessen the chance of developing a peristomal hernia. I hope you have not developed one from your strenuous activities. Take it easy Christian.

warrior
Reply to aTraveler

Well put. I was too steamed for composure. Thanks. 

christianp

Hi, thanks for your replies. I guess I should have taken it easier, but my surgeon advised I could return to normal activities. I had followed no lifting anything heavy for first two months and did lots of abdo core strengthening exercises. I don’t think this is a hernia, I think it’s a prolapsing stoma. I’ve just changed the bag and normally it protrudes about 1.5cm and currently it’s about 3.5 and it bled a lot more when cleaning. My output has been terrible overnight, emptied runny liquid about 6 times, my normal is once and porridge like. I’m wondering if either the prolapse is limiting output to liquid only and more solid is staying inside, or whether I have eaten something to cause diarrhoea and that’s why the stoma has prolapsed. Waiting to hear from stoma nurse.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
warrior

Christian..it's 330 a.m. here across the pond. It bothered me how I replied to you.

I am not like that being so mean and your reply so heartfelt means " you got my point" albeit harshly.

Bygones. 

Now if I could have a word with your doctor? It would be two choice words only.   But essentially he's an idiot.  Is he experienced enough to tell you resume normal working or daily habits? Or has he mad cow disease?

His idea of normal is not our new normal so u may have interpreted his " return to daily actives"  incorrectly. 

You have a hole through yur stomach wall. What can be normal about that?  It is not going to get better as you do your things.

I do get the whole idea of being busy minded and nothing can stop me attitude or just being very active as you have your youth. Lucky you.!

But it does not include break dancing.  Nor lifting.  People with heavy lifting jobs have retired bc of a 40 lbs lift restriction- or less. This is your new normal. Factual too.

You are a newbie. You ask first before doing things that give you pause. And will eventually hurt you. Pls remember that.

You don't want to hear about failed hernia repair. Some of us won't have ours done due to that fact it's a never ending repair.  Only an experienced doctor or stoma nurse would tell you that..

Or us.  You can talk to those who've had done..had it failed. Had multiple surgeries to fix it- in short, regretted it.

Re: your stoma? It normally exercises itself. Did you a story on here where the member has 3 to 6 inches prolapse stoma.

?? DAMN..throw a saddle on that sucka.  

I don't think what you are experiencing is abnormal. Just the opposite.  It will grow and retract.  Just keep an eye on it.

Mine grows to a golf ball size. Mushrooms.

And retracts as small as a small grape. .

You out put is effected by what you eat. Your stoma is an exit. 

Night time..laying down..has some adverse effects. This will ease as your dinner time changes to maybe an earlier time instead of later. 

Bananas..marshmallows before bed time might help.

I used to have nocturnal  empties  2 to 4  times. This 330 a.m. wake up trip is my new normal for months. Took me a few years to curb eating late.   

Achieving all of this new normal takes time.  Be patient. Don't over do it out of the starting gate.

Ask. We are here.

You got this..with our help. We get it.

Keep us posted.  Thanks for being a nice guy . Thought you were gonna bite  me head off. 🙋‍♂️

ron in mich

Hi Christian welcome to the site, i,ve had an ilieostomy for 30 some years and my job at the time was physically demanding and i remember my surgeon telling me when going back to work to work smarter not harder.

warrior
Reply to ron in mich

Smart surgeon. Likely experience taught him that.

Experience will give you the logic over time to work smarter than harder.  And as you age, if you're not learning the smarter way you end up hurting yourself. Plain and simple and proven.

I know this as an auto mechanic..teaching the young ones in repairs all that bending is gonna catch up  to you... that type of lifting too.. twisting..etc.

You see these younger guys pulling tires off a car on a lift for example.

Standing.  While removing the tire from car.

Ouch. 

Lower the lift. Slide the tire off then reinstall same way. Raise lift and stand while tightening lug nuts. E z peasey. Yea it takes a bit more time. You get paid by the hour..😊🤦

Your back and knees will thank me later.🤣.

You get that experience from either the hurt from  hard work or old Farts like us here , beaten by that hurt...at MOA.  By sharing their own story- pain.

Thus the student becomes the teacher. 

ron in mich
Reply to warrior

Hi Warrior i hear you about the tires, i worked at a gas station as a teenager but the boss would,nt let me use the lift for tires only for the mechanic to use.

warrior
Reply to ron in mich

Oh Ron...yea there was a time for me too like that.  We paid our dues being young and dumb. 

The cars are so low profiled these days, u need a lift. Even car ramps u have trouble when using them for oil changes.

Think smarter than harder. Ha ha. Indeed. 

christianp

So I attended A&E yesterday. CT shows no parastomal hernia, but that ileum is in an S shape as it goes through abdominal wall and that is where output is being restricted and causing swelling to stoma. Things have slightly improved but my output is only 25% of what it should be, the Dr is ringing me again this morning. I imagine I will need stoma revision surgery to correct the S shape otherwise I imagine I will just keep having problems. 
I’ve taken on board what you’ve all said about not overdoing it, I will have to be stricter with myself!

im going for a walk now to try and get things moving more and hopefully can avoid having to go back in today.

warrior

There ya go. Good luck. Day by day..