Newbie with gas

Replies
Views
Pouch Potato

I had surgery on Feb. 15 and am adjusting to my permanent ileostomy. One constant issue I'm dealing with is gas. The bag is always puffed out and is sometimes like the Hindenburg! I'm afraid it's going to blow! I have a lot of gas no matter what I eat, and I'm not even trying to eat any particularly gas-inducing foods like broccoli or cabbage yet. 

I've tried Gas X and Lactaid, but they don't seem to do much. My GI just told me about Atrantil. Anyone have luck with that, or any other solutions? Thanks.

Hisbiscus

Are you drinking any carbonated beverages like coke, dr. Pepper, carbonated water? Some drinks can do it too. I had to stop my beloved diet coke due to too much gas 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,611 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose

You're still in the early days. Things will change as your body adapts, but gas will always be in issue to one degree or the other. I have found that the best way to control ileostomy gas is with diet. If I want to minimize the bloats, I try to avoid anything made with corn and any other gas producing foods during the day. At night, I don't really care and I am fond of my corn chips with hummus. I am up a couple of times a night anyway and I don't particularly mind burping my bag at that time. I also avoid carbonated beverages of any kind. Easy for me to do, as I have been a water-only drinker for years. :-)

I do take generic Immodium, which has an anti-gas component. But, I can't see where that part does much good against tough guys like corn.

Welcome to the group and our world. Lots of great people here. So, feel free to chime in with whatever questions or advice you may have yourself.

Daniel

warrior

And....let's not forget the appliance if it has a closed system or filter.

I know those filters clog...may not even worth having it..but everything helps.

I agree with  what everyone has said above abt controlling gas diet wise. - liquids and solids.

There is also the thought as with non osties if u inhale too much while eating can also cause air exiting the pooper chute. 

Always ,chew ,chew, chew and chew. 

Welcome. Keep us posted. 

aTraveler

Colostomy or ileostomy: Alcoholic drinks, carbonated (fizzy) drinks, baked beans, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers, onions, milk and dairy products, nuts, radish, soy, sprouts, apples, asparagus, drinking straws & chewing gum (you'll swallow more air), melons, mushrooms, corn, broccoli, spinach, cheese, root vegetables

When I was in the hospital, my bag kept filling up with gas. My culprit was drinking with a straw. The problem is normally gas producing foods or swallowing air.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
warrior
Reply to aTraveler

..nailing it again.  That's it. In a nut shell.   Boom!

Change of subject- I saw u mentioned in another thread abt having dizzy spells and passing out. Dr's. We're puzzled. It was decided a low carbohydrate issue?  Can pm me if u like..the details and test and name of this issue? A friend is going through this right now. She just called me.

Dr's are puzzled with her too.

Thanks.

ron in mich

Hi PP welcome to the site, what others said is pretty much covers it. 

Pouch Potato
Reply to Hisbiscus

I have always avoided anything carbonated, amd never drink from a straw

warrior

Wait,.. gas? Regular or high test? Bottle that stuff and sell it. Talk about a side gig. 🤦