Hair removal - area around the stoma

Replies
Views
LeedsLad94

Hey OstoMates! I have a question for the men of this site that I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with!

My body is fairly hairy in particular my abdomen which is obviously where my stoma is located. Obviously this can affect adhesion of the bags to the skin. 

Do any of you have experience of having to remove hair around your stoma? I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. I don't really like using a razor that close to my stoma as I am worried about potentially cutting it. I have considered hair removal cream but when I mentioned this to my stoma nurse, he said this can cause irritation and his advice would be to avoid this method.

Surely there are certain hair removal products out there suitable for sensitive skin?

IGGIE

G-Day Leeds,  I reckon a good quality Electric Razor for the out perimeter then a normal razor the get a close finish. As for next to the Stoma I normally Pluck them out with tweezers and yes it can bring tears to your eyes but after plucking them they take longer to grow back. I bought a pair of really good Tweezers as cheap ones don't grab the hair good enough. Regards IGGIE

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,577 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

LeedsLad94
Reply to IGGIE

Thanks Iggie - Really helpful advice. I didn't consider tweezers for the ones closest to the stoma but I may give this a try next time I change my bag!

Axl

Razor, danger is my middle name ⚔️

And tweezers when right on the edge of the stoma.

Some use an empty cardboard toilet roll centre or such, put it over the stoma to protect it and shave away.

Caz67

Hiya Leeds 

You could always try putting a top eg shampoo bottle cap/top and shave with the razor. Xx

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

I shave with a razor with no problems (so far).

AlexT

Clio bikini shaver is what I use. 

kittybou

A grooming tool. They sell them by the shaving cream and. By the hair dryers.Battery operated, not much danger of cutting anything but hair. 

aTraveler

You can use a StomaGenie to cover your stoma and shave away. The StomaGenie, also, captures any stoma output during the time you are shaving.

https://stomagienics.com/

Caz67
Reply to AlexT

Stop pinching your gf razor 🪒 lol 🤣 xx

Ben38

I shaved for many years but ingrowing hairs became to much of a problem....just use a bog standard toilet roll to protect your stoma but to be honest once you've shaved a few times you will just wiz round without worrying about it.....one of my stoma nurse advised me to use hair removal cream she was very experienced she said try it on the opposite side of your stomach a few days before if your skin has no reaction to it, it will be ok around your stoma it did work really well had no problems just to much hassle fussing about for my liking so last 10 years or so I just spend a few minutes each bag change and pop a few hairs out with tweezers....my nurse said the best hair removal was threading but you would never get anyone to do it around a stoma....I remember a member in the past saying they used there hunting knife I wouldn't do it that way myself but it's another option 

Beachboy

For around the stoma, I use a pubic hair electric shaver.  Gentle and doesn't pull.  For close to the stoma, use a small precision scissor.  To cut the hairs at the bottom of my stoma, I gently bend my ostomy upward to see the stoma bottom.  I don't do any hair cutting looking in a mirror. 

I do have full use of my hands and excellent dexterity.  

LeedsLad94

Thanks everyone for all your tips! I'll stick with using a razor for now with a bottle lid or something to cover my stoma. I'll probably use tweezers for the hairs close to the actual stoma site.

AlexT
Reply to Caz67

lol. Guys can have bikini lines too. 😯🤭