Hernia surgery and flat stoma/ can it be revised?

Replies
Views
Hisbiscus

Coming out of hernia surgery 3 or so years ago, my stoma went flat. Does anyone know if they can revise this to fix the stoma or is it I'm stuck with it? 

Kas

Haven’t had a hernia but my stoma went flat on one side and like under the skin and it was revised a month ago

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,577 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hisbiscus
Reply to Kas

That's exactly how mine is. It goes flat to one side but left out of my convex bag for 15 or more minutes it will go totally flat. In fact when the stoma nurse pulls off the bag she's like oh see it's sticking out and i tell them just wait you will see and sure enough in a few minutes or so they are surprised seeing it totally flush. 

How so you like your revision? Is it working out good for you? 

Kas

That’s what mine would do - it was a real pain and made me more prone to leaks.

Yes!  The revision was an easy surgery and now the stoma is normal and no leaks (knock on wood)!

Are you using convex barriers or wafers?  That did help me some.

Hisbiscus
Reply to Kas

Im.glad things are better for you. It makes things so much easier. Yes I'm in a hard convex active life by convatec.with a hollister cera ring. t helps but I dont care for this adhesive. It's a bit too much. I miss my flat active life. This sideways/ flat stoma has turned my life totally upside down. I have to do things complicated and expensive because they don't cover everything. 

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Kas
Reply to Hisbiscus

Kas

I have this box with 9 of the 10 left.  I tried it before the revision.  If you can use them I’d be happy to mail them to you.  Just send me the mailing info

w30bob

Hi Hi,

They can revise anything, so the real question is what's involved in the revision.  Normally, if you have no adhesions they can simply detach the end of your stoma and pull it out a bit to make it stick out properly.......and then sew it back on itself and you're good to go.  But if it doesn't pull out freely they'll probably need to open you up and see what's going on.  So they try the simple version first, and if that doesn't work they go in.  And that means you could be out of the hospital in a day or two........or 6-7.  Just depends on what's happening in there.  

;O)

AlexT

Any issues with your hernia surgery? 

Hisbiscus
Reply to Kas

Thank you very much for the offer but I'm allergic to many adhesives. My size is 7/8 which is the size just uner one inch. I'm not leaking I'm just frustrated in the way i now have to do things. Changing the bag is a big production now when it used to be so easy. 

Hisbiscus
Reply to AlexT

No issues at all with the surgery itself. 

Hisbiscus
Reply to w30bob

He removed a bunch of adhesions while doing the hernia mesh surgery he said. It was an  open surgery and he fixed 3 hernias.2 parastomal and one umbilical.  I'd imagine he would have to go in open surgery again. I'm not too sure what this would all involve do to the mesh in there. I was in a study for the mesh surgery. They were trying two different ways on parastomal.hernias to see which way worked out better. I think i had the sugar baker method .

I came back after posting this to you  to say. I just set an appointment with the original surgeon to see if he can do anything. 

AlexT
Reply to Hisbiscus

How long was recovery approximately?

Hisbiscus
Reply to AlexT

It was not really bad or that long. I was supposed to be off work for 8 weeks i think, but he allowed me to go back in 3 weeks because my job was all light duty work anyhow. I was surprised at how smooth that recovery went. I would say that if anyone is thinking of this surgery to make it very, very clear that you do not want to come out with a flat stoma.  

Beachboy
Reply to Hisbiscus

Your hernia surgery was successful?  Hernia did not reappear at all?  I consulted with my surgeon earlier this week about stoma revision and hernia repair.  I've put it off for now.  But might try to get it done this summer... if I don't chicken out.

Hisbiscus
Reply to Beachboy

It was very successful but stupid me lifting a heavy laundry basket at a clients it did come back a wee bit but hardly noticeable. Stomach still flat. After surgery I felt like I had a tummy tuck but did not. That horrible heavy feeling in the front is gone. 

The key is to not lift over 25 pounds like they tell you. Don't lift awkward objects like a full heavy laundry basket at least not with help. Don't try putting 50 million grocery bags on your arms to carry in groceries just to get it done faster. Just have to make more trips back and forth. Dont be moving furniture at all.  Things like that. Just have to slow down a bit and get help or ask others when needed. 

I think this is why so many get another hernia after hernia  surgery. They think, oh  I'm fixed so now i can be superman/superwomen lol! I believe that if we were told all of this after first getting our stomas that we would not wind up with a hernia in the first place.

I had one of the best surgeons and because it was a study I believe they did an extra good job. 

Don't be afraid of it but consider a possible flat stoma. This is my one and only complaint. It's a big complaint though.