abscess, open wound under flange

Replies
Views
morganbrooksmail

I'm just wondering if anyone can direct me to some good information on what to do about infection under the flange. I have had an open sore, oozing pus, about 1.5 cm from my stoma for about a week and a half. I went to the ET nurse and she gave me silver wound dressing and duoderm which I have changed twice since last Monday. Both times the wound was larger and there was more pus than the last time. The wound is now almost 1 cm across and a couple of mm deep and I'm freaking out. I've had really good luck and not had significant skin problems in over 20 years of having a stoma. Any help or advice would be really appreciated! 

Beth22

Hey there,

I would recommend you contact your doctor.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,611 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Xlshrimp

Stay calm always but I would also get a doctor to look at it at the hospital. I would want them to understand that your wound should be monitored and dressings changed regularity; maybe even a schedule of antibiotics are in order. You gotta advocate loudly for yourself, sometimes uncomfortably loud. Let us know about your recovery; be strong

Morning glory

You probably  need antibiotics.  Wound care nurse needs to see this again. Don't let them ignore  you. Pus is sure sign of infection. 

morganbrooksmail
Reply to

Ok, that's reassuring, thank you! I did go straight to the stoma nurse (ET is enterostomal therapy nurse) as soon as I noticed and that's basically the same treatment as she's suggested - I am just worried because it seems to be getting worse not better. I haven't been packing the wound but I will see her again at the end of the week and ask her about that. 

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
warrior
Reply to morganbrooksmail

If not a fistula is it? That happens. Ask about this. Serious stuff going on if there's an open would. Agree with everyone above. Get it checked. Advise us. Keep us posted.

morganbrooksmail

I don't think it's a fistula - there's no discharge except the pus which is a pretty neutral colour and the skin around it seems healthy. I will definitely ask though. Personally I think it was just an infected follicle that got worse because it's in a moist, covered area - I'm prone to those in other areas as well, just never had one under my wafer before. 

IGGIE

I hope you have had that seen too by now. IGGIE

Kimmy050263
Reply to morganbrooksmail

Definetly contact your doctor and follow up!  One of the things my stoma nurse told me is that if you see an open wound was to use stoma powder on the area and let it dry. I also use domoboro powder dissolved in water when changing my bag.  My sores not as severe as what you have, but will say that the domoboro powder was a game changer for me and my belly.

morganbrooksmail

Thanks everyone. I have another appointment with the stoma nurse on Friday. Did a change today and the wound opening was bigger but looked cleaner with less pus and discharge, less heat around the area. I moved the opening on my wafer over so the convexity isn't putting pressure right on top of the wound (saw this suggestion on an ET nurse training on youtube - the internet is amazing!)

I will monitor and go in sooner if things get worse before Friday and let you all know how it goes. 

amymariefred

I used aquacel with duoderm in top. Changed with each flange change (every 4 days for me). It took almost 6 weeks to heal completely. That was what my Ostomy nurse sent me to use. But I agree, if you can see your nurse in person or send them a photo, you should seek a medical opinion. 

morganbrooksmail
Reply to amymariefred

Sounds the same as the advice I was given. I have seen the nurse in person twice now and today she said it looked much better and just to keep doing what we were doing. She also gave me some pouches with a softer wafer and smaller convexity but they are ridiculously big so I'm not sure I'll be able to use them. Anyway, overall, feeling much more calm about everything. Thanks for all the support!