Reconnecting after almost 30 years

Replies
Views
RiverS

I am facing a change. I have developed a parestomal hernia and the colorectal surgeon suggested an IRA. They could try to patch the hernia with mesh but it would likely reoccur. He said no to a Jpouch because I have Crohn’s and he just will not do that. I have 10 inches of colon including rectum to reattach to. I’ve have had my Ileostomy for 29 1/2 years and have longed to be reconnected ever since. I have not had any flare ups since the original Ileostomy surgery.  All scopes have been negative for Crohn’s. I’ve asked my gastroenterologist several times over the years if I could be reattached and each time he said no because of the original diagnosis of Crohn’s. Now this presents itself.  I feel It’s a very difficult decision and an easy one at the same time. I truly believe I wouldn’t be here today if I hadn’t had the colectomy/ileostomy years ago and I am so grateful for the pain-free years I have had. 

But I feel I have  to go ahead with the IRA, it’s what I always wanted, I hate how my body looks now, always self conscious…  I’ve done some research and understand the risks. Yes, I am scared of the unknown but I think I would regret it if I passed up the opportunity now while I’m not too old(57) to have it.  I pray that those unused parts remember what to do when attached😟. I guess I just need to hear from this group to talk it out but I haven’t seen anyone in a similar situation to chat with. I’d love to hear if anyone has heard of someone being reattached after almost 30 years. ?💜

Caz67

Hi River's 

It looks like you have made your decision already, hopefully everything goes well during and after the surgery but if not you can always go back to the bag. Xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,603 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior
Reply to Caz67

Very good point.

I don't think she's made a decision.. she is weighing heavily on the idea that her colon, what's left of it ( 10 inches-dormant) is usable after 30 year idle, could actually still function making the choice easier- worth it..

30 yrs? Non usage?  I would really consider and think this through. That is a long time being non functional..

Your age is a healing factor. Complications too.

I have head a story from a member after 20 yrs she got IRA, that's what it's called.. direct hook up to what's left of large colon from the small colon..she was happy with her decision. So that's one I heard success. 

You have 10 inches left of it.

That can be a big issue too.

Another woman here. "crapycolon" will answer u..she has an IRA, too...not sure abt how long she waited in-between.

Yur Dr's are giving you good advice bc chrons usually doesn't go away with surgery. It's life long.  J pouches usually fail over time. Hernia repairs fail too.

I get wanting to improve body imagine. I do understand that.

If I were younger, I would consider the IRA.  if I had that option but seek out those 20, 30 yr folks who waited.

Sometimes the odds are in your favor with this surgery. Other times one is not so lucky. From what I have you mentioned, you need to

research idle colons . People here will chime in. They are here.

You are in the right place. .

Ben38

I only know someone that had a reversal after 10 years so its big difference to your circumstance's, there very happy with the outcome.

It's what you've always wanted and had your heart set on 'I say go for it' no one can give a 100% guarantee on the outcome of any reversal surgery even if it was only 3 months after having an ileotomy.

Wishing you well and hope it all goes well for you.   

RiverS
Reply to warrior

Thank you so much for your info! I’ll check idle colons in the forum! I am weighing heavy to the side of IRA.  I thought It wasn’t even an option untill the hernia diagnosis. So it’s a lot to take in! 

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
CrappyColon

Hi, I can’t speak to a long length of time other than number of years I was sick before the colectomy.  I’m only a year+ few months into my IRA. The connection itself had 4 months healing time before being put into use. Have they talked about or done a couple tests (you will know if you had them) that give an idea if your pelvic floor muscles will do what you need them to do?

When you say 10” of colon left including rectum… you’re including rectum in that measurement? Do you know how many inches the rectum actually is? 

For reference, I have 8” of rectum hooked up to the end of my small intestine… no abdominal colon left.  So far, so good on that aspect of an IRA.

I have never been definitively diagnosed with UC or Crohns. 

Not sure how your health system works… are you able to request a second opinion? 

RiverS
Reply to CrappyColon

No I guess I don’t really know how much of it is rectum. Something i will definitely ask again about.
I don’t remember his exact words but the surgeon basically said that my 10 inches is adequate for the surgery to be successful.  

w30bob

Hi RS,

Maybe I'm missing something here........you had Crohn's........but they removed your colon, even though Crohn's doesn't really extend into the colon?  If that's not why they removed it.......why did they?  And they won't give you a J-pouch because you have Crohn's.......but they'll reconnect your small bowel to what's left of your colon if you have Crohn's?  Were they sober when they said that?

From your profile I'm guessing they also removed some of your small bowel too.  So other than the 10" of colon......how much small bowel do you still have, and what parts did they remove?  Do you still have your terminal ileum and ileocecal valve?  If not you better plan on knowing where all the bathrooms are once you're reconnected. 

Me thinks you might want to have a more detailed talk with your surgeon to find out what's actually left to be connected and specifically ask what your life is going to be like post-reconnection, with only 1/6 (about 17%) of your colon left in play.  That's not going to be enough to absorb your bile or a lot of water to hydrate you...........so get a second and third opinion too.  

And sure, you can always revert back to being an ostomate, but each time they cut your intestine to do that they remove some bowel near the cut.......so you lose bowel every time.  And then there's the pain and recovery, as it'll be open surgery.  You've got a lot to think about........just make sure your Docs are telling it to you straight......and there's a consensus of opinions from more than one surgeon/Gastro.  Don't mean to be a party-pooper with all this, but you really want to go into this with your eyes wide open, if you know what I mean.  

;O)

RiverS
Reply to w30bob

Thank you for your reply,

In fact Crohn’s disease can affect any part of you GI tract.. and in my case with my very first surgery they removed the affected area(in 1983 when not as much was known) which was my terminal ileum and a small portion of my colon. Later in 1994 after extreme abscess and not responding to treatments they removed the ‘rest’ of my colon giving me the ileostomy. They told me at the time that they left enough colon attached to the rectum to support a reversal. But was never advised up until now. I have not had any kind of Crohn’s flare since my Ileostomy surgery and maybe this is why they are saying IRA is acceptable now. And throw in the parestomal hernia and that’s what they are suggesting for treatment. 
As for hydration, with even a small amount of colon in use it should improve my ability to absorb fluids compared how I am functioning now with only my small bowel in play. Or is there something I’m misunderstanding from your comment?

RiverS
Reply to Caz67

Thank you, and yes I can always go back to an ostomy,  I think I would always wonder if I could have managed the hook up if I don’t try. I’m trying to live my life with no regrets. 💗I have agreed to put my name on the waiting list, which they told me in my area can be anywhere from 6 to 12 months. I may change my mind before then but I feel I have to try. 🙂

warrior
Reply to RiverS

Right about CD affecting the entire digestive tract.

I was told UC becomes CD eventually  so to me it's I.B.D. it just gets too confusing have both symptoms of each.

Fudge it. Inflammatory bowel disease.  Suck on that doctor.

You can have symptoms of UC..yet have CD TOO.! Vice a versa.

Nasty illness. 

they labeled me crohns colitis.

They covered  their butts saying that.. when 20 yrs later they took my butt.

warrior
Reply to RiverS

...@RiverS....I was reviewing your first  post and had some interest in knowing a few things about you and yur condition. 

For example, the real reason that is motivating you to get the IRA.,  which you explained you hate the way you look. 

and fix the hernia which brought you here as well.

You are aware hernia repairs fail.

Alot of us have hernias and as long as there is no pain, we aren't getting it fixed.

Re: yur looks, or figure? Women are more critical on this subject than men are..but.. why not get a 2nd opinion? Yea, post a picture. 

You will no doubt get an unbiased answer from males and females here.

I was told recently, a woman- a co worker or stranger-  complimenting another is the sincerest form humanity.

Of course men..well.. complimenting other men?.rarely occurs. 

I like yur profile photo.. seems a bit animated..cartoonist.  but you look stunning there..

This was the social aspect of my interest.

Medically, people here on the forum know their shit. It's through trial and error and" want" to share what happens and happened next.

A wealth of good honest input.

But no 2 ppl are same.

With a colon as yours being idle 30 yrs..if you are and have been in good health, then I'd say you're in better shape than most of us. Likely a success story...well..better than me I mean..

But to say you have not had any flare ups of chrons?  Causes me pause. I am happy to know this..but

IBD can manifest itself as some very odd symptoms. 

One I am going through is gout...arthritis.  swelling of finger joints.

This all increased after my kenn butt surgery.  Are these flares, too? Symptoms  of IBD? 

Some would think not. But I do.yes..they are..

. So explain..pls....you are not experiencing any other health conditions that might even be remotely related the IBD?

If you have no other conditions and a clean bill of health, that is very encouraging to opt for reversal. 

I'm thinking this decision you make is your " change"  for the better.

RiverS
Reply to warrior

I definitely will not be posting pictures of what I am most vulnerable and self conscious about. Even here, among others with similar issues. 

I try not to focus on my other ailments,  those things I have no control over. I do have other health conditions that have occurred because of the Crohn’s disease but I don’t consider them flares by any means.  From age 14 - 27 I was on high doses of prednisone because other treatments weren’t working. This was the only drug that would. I’ve developed what they’ve called avascular necrosis or osteo necrosis, affecting my lower back and lower body joints. 3 surgeries on my rt ankle to fuse the ankle and subtalar joints. Arthritis(runs in my family), Kidney stones out the yin yang, surgery for gallstones, and blockages from adhesion's.. But currently I have constant abdominal pain from the hernia and adhesions and rely on pain meds to get me through the days. This consideration of IRA is not only cosmetic. Far from it. 

AlexT
Reply to warrior

You babble a lot. Why anyone would tell another to post a picture of their health issue is beyond me. 🤷‍♂️ if someone wants to, by choice, that’s on them to take the comments they’ll get. But to try and pressure someone into posting their picture. 🙄

JESB XO
Reply to RiverS

I will say a prayer for you! God Bless you. 

RiverS
Reply to JESB XO

💗Thank you JesB XO 🙏

RiverS
Reply to JESB XO

💗Thank you JesB XO 🙏

DexieB

Hi RiverS.  I had a colostomy reversal in January, along with repairing the huge hernia I had underneath my colostomy.  I have a completely different medical scenario, so I can't really offer you any advice- but I absolutely understand why you want to try.  I also did not want to spend life wondering what if - and if I had to go back to the bag, I was ok with it (luckily things have been good so far).  Praying for you to have the best possible outcome in whatever choice you make!  

RiverS
Reply to DexieB

Thank you DexieB for your comment 💗 I wish you continued success with your reversal 🙏

RiverS
Reply to AlexT

Thank you AlexT 🙏

w30bob
Reply to RiverS

Hi Riv,

Sorry for my late reply.........Spring is busy here on the farm.  You're right about the Crohn's, I keep thinking back to when I was diagnosed, and back then Crohn's and UC were very different, with Crohn's only being from mouth to terminal ileum and UC only in the colon to the ass.  As more and more people got jacked with IBS autoimmune issues Crohn's was extended all the way to the ass.  Both are essentially the same with only the level of mucosal inflammation being the determinant, so it's a bit of semantics.  

My point was that with only 10" of colon you're not going to get much absorption.  Especially if it's descending colon that attaches to your rectum. That part of your colon acts more like a trash compactor than a sponge, as most of the liquid in entering the colon is absorbed higher up in the ascending and transverse sections.  Your liver bile is also absorbed higher up, so that amount of liquid won't change either, and that can be as much as a liter per day all by itself.  

The other fly in the ointment (that you should talk to your surgeon about) is that Crohn's has a high propensity to reinitiate at an anastomosis.  They don't know why, but it does.  Not saying that will happen, it's just something to consider.....as is scar tissue forming at the anastimosis.  Some people develop a lot of it, some enough to live with with no further surgical intervention.  

A final thing to consider is your anal sphincter is controlled by pressure on the colon wall.  This can be from formed poop or liquid poop, so the feeling of urgency to go will be there in both cases.  And watery stools are much more challenging for your muscles to hold in than firm ones. Over time, frequent watery stools can cause the muscles in your rectum and ass to weaken.....and that's not good. 

So I'm just suggesting you discuss all these factors with your surgeon(s) and get second opinions before proceeding.  I'm always amazed at how surgeons trivialize the things that end up making our lives miserable, while touting the benefits of what they do best.  I hope that helps clarify my previous comments.  If not, just shout!

;O)  

RiverS
Reply to w30bob

Thanks for your response w30bob. Definitely a lot of angles to consider!