Problem Taking Calcium Supplement

Replies
Views
TexasGirl
Hi. I have a colostomy due to colon rectal cancer. I have had it for almost two years now. I am writing this in hopes that someone can give me some helpful hints in dealing with a problem I am having when I take my calcium supplement. To begin with, I have a retracted stoma which causes problems with my bag. Recently, I discovered that my calcium supplement is the culprit behind my paste-like stools. As you can imagine, this causes an increase in the bag problems. I am 49 years old and due to chemo, etc., I have osteoporosis. I really need my calcium. Can anyone give me some advice as to how to get my calcium but avoid the paste-like stool? Thank you so much.
sweede
Hi Texasgirl, There's a few ways to get your daily fix of calcium and preventing constipation, i don't know how many you have tried, or how much colon you have left for that matter. but here are a few simple angles to combat constipation lass or pasty poo.

Firstly have a wee lookie at the ingredients of the suppliments your taking and have a look see if they contain Bone Meal, if they do don't take them. Bone meal calcium comes from animals' bones and increses the risk of constipation, and also and in my opinion a very important factor is that any heavy metals the animal has ever been exposed to are stored in the bones. Over the counter samples of supplements with bone meal or dolomite has been tested and significant amounts of lead, arsenic, mercury, and other potentially toxic metals were detected. So if they got bone meal in them, thow them in the bin lol.

Calcium in foods is found to have a much higher absorbtion rate than suppliments, but this entirely depends on how much colon you have left. But that being said, milk products such as hard/cottage cheeses and yogurts are high in calcium, as is green vegetables especially spinach. But ironicly enough spinich can interfere with the absorption of calcium as can rhubarb and bran.

A simple way to estimate one's daily calcium intake is to multiply the number of calcium rich foods you have eaten each day by 300 mg.One serving equals 8 oz of milk or yogurt, 1 oz of hard cheese, 16 oz of cottage cheese, or 2 cups of broccoli. Incidently, foods labeled as containing 100% of the recommended dietary value of calcium should not be considered as the single source of a full day's supply of calcium. So dont let that fool ya.x

If your intake of calcium still remains below the amount recommended by your doctcor, calcium supplements are inevitable. But there are a few ways to gently soften you stool and reduce the risk of constipation lass, so don't worry.If you are mobile enough, regular exercise helps, as does increasing fruits, vegetables, and high fiber foods in your diet. Have a few prunes with your cereal in the morning, and drink an extra liter of water per day.

If all else fails then ask your doctor or stoma nurse if you can take stool softners or calcium supplements with magnesium added (i.e. Citracal Plus w/Magnesium) to minimize the constipation. Dietary magnesium does not pose a health risk in most people, although risk of magnesium toxicity increases in patients with kidney failure. Also, very large doses of magnesium-containing laxatives and antacids also have been associated with magnesium toxicity.

Hopefully a few of those suggestions could be suitable for you Texasgirl, cant be much fun for you

Take care lass.

Oh and P.s, taking Calcium supplements with Vitamin D added is said to be very benificial to folks with osteoporosis. Reasech done on Vitamin D shows it to be one of them kinda wonder drugs.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TexasGirl

Sweede, thank you for the information. It is very helpful. Today I picked up flax seed in hopes that it will help. My goal is to irrigate but until then I need to get this problem under control. Once again, thank you!

Whoa

Softening the stool through natural i.e. dietary changes, if possible, is always the best way to go. Good info from Sweede!

I have folks with pasty stools that tend to get stuck on the wafer opening and won't slide down to the bottom of the pouch; using cooking spray (Pam, or whatever) and spraying it on the wafer and in the pouch sometimes helps. You could also place cooking oil in the bottom of the pouch and spread it around so it goes to the top if you have a one-piece appliance.

One other thought; you may want to consult with your doctor about taking a monthly calcium supplement; they are by prescription and depend on how bad your osteoporosis is; but may alleviate the daily issue of dealing with the pasties.

I wouldn't worry about trying to solve the issue prior to irrigation, as the water irrigant will break up the stool somewhat.

sweede

Nice one! Whoa, love the outfit by the way...

Just to add a wee extra to the pancaking thing, peppermint oil is another good trick for lubing the inside of the bag. It also nicely masks nasty odors. Although I'm not sure if you can get it in spray bottles, that would be just too cool. I guess you could always transfer it into a wee spray bottle.

But mind and keep it away from the filter.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister