Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,350 members

Discharge/stool from anus

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:36 pm
I had eliostomy in November 2011. So far, I experienced discharge from my anus about 5 times. Why? One time, it was real stool. other times, watery things. Sometimes, just gas. Did anyone experienced the same things? I do not understand. My anus is not connected to anything.
Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:01 pm
Happyh9,

Welcome to the site.  There are lots of really good people here.  And, excellent information and sharing.

The first time the discharge happened to me I had no one to ask.  That is what brought me to this site.  When I learned that it is a fairly common thing I was pissed.  Why didn't anyone bother to tell me.  Many people have stome nurses - and they seem to be lifesavers for many.  I didn't have anyone.  

From what I have learned, they don't clean out what remains in the rectum.  And the rectum continues to produce mucus.  Some people have frequent discharge issues.  It has been rare for me.  

When I called my doctor all I was told was "see your physician".  

Try the search line and look for things like anal discharge and see what others have had to say in the past.  And I am sure others with more information and experience will respond.  There is a lot to learn and there are many of us here to offer our suport as you learn.
Reply by Ironmike, on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:13 pm
This is common when the rectum remains intact after surgery. It is a lining mucus which enables discharge, but is not so nifty when nobody alerts us to it after surgery and it all of a sudden discharges unexpectedly. It happened to me after my first surgery.

My recommendation is to wear a pad. Usually, it's not voluminous and will diminish over time, but maybe not entirely. Granted, it's a nuisance and one more thing to worry about. My rectum was removed in a second surgery 6 months after the first one so that took care of that.

Can I presume you're a candidate for a j pouch for which purpose the surgeon leaves the rectum intact for further evaluation? He/she usually wants to see if it will be healthy for a j pouch connection. Mine wasn't so it was removed.

Can't tell you the long term prospects of it if you don't have further surgery. Maybe somebody is listening who has that experience.
Reply by bag_n_drag, on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:24 pm
Happyh9-

I had an ileostomy in Dec. 2010 and had the same surprise when I got home!  Nobody told me, either, so it really freaked me out at first......I made an appt. with my colorectal surgeon who then told me it was normal and that enemas a couple times per week would keep it cleared out.  I've had my ileostomy for a year now and still do one of the Fleet Cleansing Enemas w/ Aloe (NOT the one for constipation!) every 5 days.  It keeps all that gunk cleared out and I do not have to worry about nasty discharge of any kind out of that area!  Mine would always leak out at night after I was asleep and my muscles relaxed and I would awaken to a mess!  I have no large intestine but I do have a rectum.  And, like Carol, I had no ostomy nurse to help so my hubby and I have been basically left to "wing it!" This site is a Godsend.      Darla
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:15 pm
thank you for info. My surgeon didn't warn me for this. I don't have a leak problems. No need to wear pads. I just feel the urge and go. It's surprising after one year, you still have a discharge! Could you tell me about enema you are doing? Is it good for rectum?

I am waiting for a reversal. How do they check the rectum if it's healthy or not? Is it like Sigmo? Do I sedated for this? If enema is important to keep healthy rectum for reversal, I would like to try. But if so, surgeon should have told me so to do??

Why yours was not healthy? Did disease spread? What was your initial reason for ostomy?

Beside having a healthy rectum, is there minimum length of rectum you need to create J pouch? Is there any requirement for reversal?
Reply by Ironmike, on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:31 pm
Glad to hear you get ample notice for discharge. It was hit and miss for me.

My ileostomy was due to ulcerative colitis. First surgery removed the large intestine and left the rectum in hope for a j pouch connection. 6 months later the surgeon did a sigmo (no sedation) and told me the rectum was not healthy enough for reconnection and I would be a good candidate for rectal cancer if I didn't have it removed. Trusted his opinion and had the second surgery which ended any hope for a reversal. It's "until death do us part" now.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:37 pm
Ironmike
Mine was UC, too. I was diagnosed in July 2011 and had the first flare up in August and had a colon removed in November. It happened all so fast. How long did you have UC?

Sigmo in rectum without sedation, was it painful?
Reply by Ironmike, on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:48 pm
Had UC for 9 months and then it really flared up on me. Had first surgery in 2002 and the 2nd in 2003

Sigmo is only partial as he only has the rectum to look at. Didn't bother me at all.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:58 pm
Thank you for your response.

If anybody knows about requirement for successful reversal, please do let me know. How should I prepare for it? I gained back all the weight I lost and I feel healthy. I have appointment with surgeon next month but I think he won't tell me much. I feel I get a lot more answers from this site.

Reversal is supposed to be done rapascopaly. (not sure the spelling...) Does he use the same incision? How will the ex stoma site look like after?
Reply by tess45, on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:19 am
I had my rectum removed and I have an ileostomy - I get the discharge sometimes - however it is not solid waste - all liquid and foul smelling. My Surgeon told me that it was nothing to worry about in my case. It is also accompanied by the sensation that I have to have a bowl movement.  It is a big pain in the butt - but at least I can control when the discharge comes out.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:21 am
It's comforting to know it's not only me! Thank you!
Reply by Ironmike, on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:09 pm
That's "laparoscopic" and the same incisions are used.

Hope everything goes well for your reversal.
Reply by bag_n_drag, on Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:06 pm

Happyh9 wrote:
thank you for info. My surgeon didn't warn me for this. I don't have a leak problems. No need to wear pads. I just feel the urge and go. It's surprising after one year, you still have a discharge! Could you tell me about enema you are doing? Is it good for rectum?

I am waiting for a reversal. How do they check the rectum if it's healthy or not? Is it like Sigmo? Do I sedated for this? If enema is important to keep healthy rectum for reversal, I would like to try. But if so, surgeon should have told me so to do??

Why yours was not healthy? Did disease spread? What was your initial reason for ostomy?

Beside having a healthy rectum, is there minimum length of rectum you need to create J pouch? Is there any requirement for reversal?

My colorectal surgeon told me that doing the enemas periodically would help to keep the sphincter (sp??) muscle stronger and keep the area more toned than not....I am hoping that this will be of help once my reversal is done....perhaps I can hold things a little longer since I have been doing these and "holding them in" for a bit.

When they checked my rectum back in August, the doc stuck a long tube up there and looked around.  He said I have about 10 cm of rectum left and it is healthy.  I don't know what that procedure is called....I called it my "lube and tube!" Wink

My colon was not healthy only for a few weeks before it perforated in 3 places one night and I was wheeled in for an emergency ileostomy.  I really had no warning beforehand other than a few months of vomiting and low potassium.....I got to the point where I couldn't keep anything down and they would admit me for vomiting and low potassium but would always check the upper GI tract; NOT the lower one.  By the time I developed a blockage that they could "see" on an x-ray I was near death.  The surgeon said if I had come in 6 hours later, I would have been dead.  All the perforations caused severe sepsis; my white count was over 30k, both lungs collapsed and my kidneys started shutting down.  I was in the hospital for 6 weeks and lost 45 pounds.  I also had a grand mal seizure while in the hospital; the docs said it was my brain "rebooting" after all the trauma.

I don't know much about the J pouch as I am not having one constructed.  My surgeon plans to connect my small intestine to my rectum.  As I understand it, eventually I will have 5-7 loose bm's per day.  Imodium and psyllium husks will help to bulk things up a bit; and I will have to do this regimen for the rest of my life.  In the beginning, tho, I have read that I could "go" up to 20 times per day.  The more large intestine you have, the fewer and firmer the stool is....but, since I have no large intestine, the "loo" will be my best buddy for a while!

Hope this gives you a little insight....everyone is different and we all have a story. Smile

Take Care......Darla
Reply by Ironmike, on Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:17 pm
Always have been unfer the impression that a j pouch is always formed when the small intestine is connected to the rectum. You need a staging area if you know what I mean.
Reply by Xerxes, on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:58 pm
Hi,

As others have said, the discharge is normal and will continue as long as you have what you have now. It is just a build up of mucus because that part of the gut that is left will produce a lot of it and constantly. As the mucus builds up it will eventually have to be discharged and is. It has nowhere else to go. Sometimes it is more liquid and other times more solid and yes, it it usually foul smelling as bacterial action does promote breakdown. It is not uncommon to occasionally feel severe bowel-like contractions as  if you have to defecate. This seems to come and go. I cannot speak for others, but I still get them albeit with less frequency than when I first had my ileostomy almost 33 years ago.

X_
Reply by bag_n_drag, on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:22 am
IronMike - Interesting as I asked my colorectal surgeon if he would be constructing one or reconstructing anything and he said "nope!"  I am going to do some more reading on this....it would make sense that you'd have to have some sort of staging area......I thought it depended on how much rectum you had left.  I know that those who have no large intestine or rectum have to have a j-pouch; no option.  I will do some research.  Thanks for the input....I will definitely check this out.    Darla
Reply by Ironmike, on Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:03 pm
BnD, I had my rectum removed and that ended any chance of reconnection. No j pouch once the rectum was removed. You may be lucky enough to have more of your organ above the sphincter which would be great for reconnection. Love to hear if anybody knows differently.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:26 pm
Wow, what a story! You are alive! I didn't know that you can connect small intenstain directly to the rectum. I though if you are going to have a reversal, you need J pouch created to store stools.
When is your surgery scheduled? I will ask about enema next time I see surgeon.
May we have a successful reversal! Happy new year!
Reply by bag_n_drag, on Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:24 pm
My surgeon said that eventually the rectum would take over a bit more and learn to "store" more stool.....it will take a little while but eventually it should get the hang of it so I won't need the J pouch.  My reversal is scheduled for Jan. 18th, 2012....just a couple of weeks away!  I will keep you posted on my follow up care.  And yes, best wishes to you as you continue on your journey towards reversal!      Darla
Reply by Rhian, on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:41 pm
I guess I was lucky in the way mine rectum was emptied after my op, I had a tube attached to remove stools out of it in hospital. However, it is quite normal to produce mucus occasionally from your rectum, I asked my stoma nurse about this when I was in a panic one day, as the rectum still produces it whether or not you are joined up, as it is there to normally assist the exit of stools easily. The only problem I've encountered is if I've eaten a large meal, then I have a feeling I used to have that I had to get to the loo quickly, and it can make me feel a bit 'snakey' in the tummy until it's gone. I've never had to wear a pad, but I've heard some people do, but mine never smells x
Reply by josiesmom, on Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:14 am
Hi everyone, I have been reading with interest about your j pouch and whether or not it can be connected/created with or without a rectum. I had my bowel surgery back in 1989 and at that time my large bowel and rectum were removed. When the surgeon created my j pouch, he connected it directly to my anus. This was possible as I had good control over my sphincter muscles. As far as a rectal discharge, I too was told it was "normal" for a small discharge. Imagine my surprise when my sutures let go around the j pouch and all I was passing was large amounts of blood! Another trip to the hospital and into surgery to fix it.
Unfortunately for me I developed a bowel blockage in 2004 and had to have emergency surgery. The surgeon decided to leave the j pouch intact but it developed a huge abscess which kept draining. I would get a huge cramp and then whoosh! out everything would come. They finally listened to me when I told them that I went through an 18 pack of Depends in less than 24 hours.
Anyway, that was me. I am now stuck with a permanent ileostomy and except for a few problems early last year, I am not minding it. BTW, the surgeon finally decided to remove the "inner" pouch in 2006.
All the best to you all.
Josies Mom
Reply by hometown, on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:04 am
Hi everyone, hope everyone had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.  I thought I would put my two cents in here about the feeling of having to use the rectum for a bowel movement, as I have had that on and off for the last two years.  I asked my surgeon about this and was told because I now don't use the rectum, this condition is called phantom rectum and the doctor said to go sit on the toilet and the rectum gets fooled to thinking it is being used and the feeling goes away.  Sometimes I don't get it for a month or more and then it comes back for a few days and then it will go away.  Hope you find this helpful    Hometown   Joyce
Reply by Xerxes, on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:53 pm
Hometown,

I use this method and it does work.

X_
Reply by beatrice, on Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:05 pm
My 2 cents:

When I had an ileo in Dec 09 (UC) ... the rectum was left. Had continual bleeding, mucus, discharge. Never had any stool discharge.

Had the rectum removed lapariscopically in Nov of this year. Sphincter muscle was left in place.

Finally, I don't have to worry about leakage.   I do get minor phantom type butt aches and sometimes a wierd itch (literally like a hair up my butt) - but these last seconds.

I always thought that a rectum was required for a reversal ... so will be interested to read all the details. Not that I'm ever going there . I can finally live with what I have. Don't want any more 'unknowns'.

Happy New Year to all my osty-friends!
Reply by bag_n_drag, on Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:12 pm
Hi All!

A couple more clarification points on my reversal surgery scheduled for Jan. 18th -

I asked my surgeon about why no J-pouch in my case since I have no large intestine.  It has less to do with the no large intestine part and more to do with the state/amount of the remaining rectal tissue.
Generally, if more than half of the rectum is removed, a colon pouch ("J-pouch") is created. The J-pouch then becomes a reservoir for waste and replaces the function of the rectum that was removed.  He said that since I do have 10 cm of healthy rectal tissue left; I am a candidate for a direct connect procedure to connect the small intestine directly to the rectum.....the technical term is ileorectal anastomosis.  My healthy rectum will actually serve as the "j pouch" of sorts.....although things will be really "quick to pass" in the beginning; eventually the rectum will learn to hold more stool and will take over some of the function of the large intestine insofar as absorbing some of the water and being able to "solidify" things a bit more.  For the first 6 - 12 months; my small intestine and rectum will be doing some extensive retraining in order to better accommodate my new "normal."  As I understand it, I will need to buy stock in Imodium and psyllium husks as these staples will be my best buddies for the rest of my life....but it's a small price to pay for a "new normal" with more freedom and quality of life.
IronMike - thanks again for making me think and ask more questions! Smile

Darla
Reply by Ironmike, on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:18 pm
BnD, thanks for the report from the surgeon. It clarifies the issue of the "staging" area.

I wish you the very best with your upcoming reconnection in 2 weeks.
Reply by bag_n_drag, on Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:10 pm
Thank you so much, Ironmike Smile  I will keep everyone posted on my progress!    Darla
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:10 am
Darla,
Thank you for your explanation regards to no-J-pouch. I can't wait to see my surgeon what he will be doing on my case.
Jan 18th! So soon! Good luck!!
Reply by mamawlaura, on Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:03 pm
Darla..sorry I mispelled your name,but you know it was meant for YOU.Hope the J-Pouch goes well for you my dear...I had a total colectomy with end illiostomy April of 2011.,But mine was due to cancer(right colon removed several yrs ago), so when the colonoscopy showed 2 invasive adenocarcenomas, I ask the oncology surgeon to take every cell of colon tissue OUT!!So the rectum was removed completely. I didn't want any chance of cancer returning to colon tissue. I would have liked a J-Pouch but I didn't want to possibly face colon CA again...You will do well!! Keep us posted, we'll be waiting to hear from you!!    Laura
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:21 pm
Darla,
I hope your operation on reversal went well yesterday! You must be enjoying your new life without stoma! All the best!!!!
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.