Ideas about leaking closed-end filter bags?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
stayn2busy

My husband has a colostomy and recently had to change from Hollister (due to flange leakage) to Convatec closed end with filter bags. About every other bag is leaking through the filter. When I called Convatec and told them about the problem, the rep acted like she had never heard of this happening. Thinking this was a bad lot, she sent replacement bags. Unfortunately, those bags have leaked also. We tried putting the little stickers over the filter and even used duct tape, but both have leaked...ruining some good white shirts. Has anyone else ever experienced this? He really likes the filter so he doesn't have to worry about the bag ballooning. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,088 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Whoa
Nurse

Stayn2busy

Your husband is not alone, I have heard the same complaint with filters from both Hollister and Convatec. You may want to try Coloplast for samples, it is worth a try; take a look at where their filter is in relation to stoma position, perhaps it is better. If the Hollister pouches worked, you may want to check on other wafers that might work in that company's system... their filters are perched a bit higher and out of the way of the stoma than Convatec's. The stickers over the vent more or less defeat the purpose of having a vent/filter.

The usual scenario is once the filter gets wet (and can be from stool) it loses the leak and odor proofing. I have had most of the leakage complaints from ileostomates though, since the stool is loose to liquid; and usually occurring when reclining.

So guess the logical question is: is your husband's stool loose? If so, he might want to try adding bran or metamucil to bulk it up a bit and see if this helps.

There are vents you can apply (Ostovent) but you have to manually open them to let the gas escape...and no odor proofing. Using a non-vented pouch doesn't provide the passive gas release but would help with the leaks too.

Anyone else with suggestions?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Vinnie43

Hi, I have been using Hollister for quite some time now and have to say they work great. BUT, I also use flushable liners from Coloplast. As far as I'm concerned, they are the best thing ever invented for us bag users. There is such a huge savings in liners that you don't mind changing it often, which in turn lessens or eliminates leakage and odor. You might want to try them.

Past Member

I would suggest you ask your doctor or stoma nurse about irrigation. We can reason that if the bag is empty...I cannot leak. If you are a candidate for irrigation and try it...it will change your life. Let us know how you make out.
Taylor player

You might try folding the corner over where the filter is and also mount the bag at an angle so the filter is at the top. If you drink carbonated beverages, limit them to one a day. This has helped me.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
akinsv16

Hello, after my surgery I tried pouches with filters but I gave up because I was having the same problem. It would leave a ring on my bed sheets and clothes. I didn't feel clean. I finally gave up and I no longer use bags with filters. I follow a very healthy diet and avoid foods that can create gas. I have not had a problem at all.

stayn2busy

I read where a couple of people were having the same problem and alleviated it with taping a round cosmetic cotton over the filter. We tried this today and it worked great....so I think we have an answer....be it a little more trouble, but worth it as not to have those little brown rings showing up on his shirts.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestion. This forum has been a godsend. It's great how everyone is willing to help strangers deal with the hand they've been dealt with their ostomies. We are fortunate, as a reversal is likely in a couple months. God bless you all!! Thanks again!!

keysgirl

I had that same problem and used the cosmetic pad, which was just okay. I just started using Hollister #18374 closed-end filter pouches, with their #14604 wafer. I feel like a new person. No smells, no cosmetic pad. They come with bags to dispose of the pouches, and little covers for the filters, for when taking showers. If the filter gets wet with stool, it is easy to wipe off and keep on going. You do need to have the specific wafer, or it doesn't lock. I found that out when trying to use a different pouch with the wafer. The wafer lasts longer than others I have used, and it is pretty comfy. Check it out. Peace, love in the universe.

ostomyvisitor
Stayn2busy:

Try to keep an eye on what your husband eats. Many times we
can control output by what we input. I find eating boiled rice
with many meals helps firm up the stool.

Covering the vent on the appliance (bag) won't help. Those
little white 'sticky' circles are meant to cover the vent while
you shower. And please watch the tape you use. Your husband
may end up with excoriated skin.

I head a small ostomy support group and you may find some help on our tips site:

http://www.premiersystems.net/ostomates.pdf

Larry

AKA The OstomyVisitor
Morpheus
Hi,
I have an ileostomy, but my problem is just the opposite.
My bags balloon quite regularly as they don't let the gas out and sometimes cause leakage due to internal pressure.
I've used Hollister and Coloplast products with the same problem.
I thought the filters don't let anything out.

Cheers,

Morpheus
beatrice

I'm using the Convatec filter bag (same one you mention) and haven't had that leakage problem via the filter. Granted, it's early days for me (month with ileostomy) but I've done lots of bag changes.

Some mornings, my bag is very full (with stool laying on the stoma/filter area) -- and no leakage. I have the bags that have the white fabric over both sides of the bag.

Are there maybe different models of that bag?

Makes me think I should be looking for a 'backup' brand should the leakage start to happen.

Whoa
Nurse

I recently met with both Convatec, Coloplast, and Hollister reps. I gave them a running list of issues such as this and others compiled from what you folks are posting and my own patients in relation to their ostomy products. The Convatec rep says he will take this back to his manager. They usually listen, and I sure hope to see some new designs in things, though I notice change is often slow.

Hollister: the complaint that the filter is in a good place but odors seem to be noted after 1-2 days with the gas filter: the rep says he has heard this often and the company recommendation is to discard the pouch after 1-2 days. For those that have to pay cash, that is an expensive proposition.

Difficult to get up in the middle of the night to empty, but for some, this prevents leakage/filter seepage accidents. A pouch without a filter or use of an ostovent might be a consideration. I wish there was a perfect pouch!

Whoa
Nurse

Beatrice, by the way...neat picture. Is your dog a Chow? Never seen that color on a Chow, so not sure?