Need Help with Round Sore Above Stoma

Replies
Views
Bear
I have a round sore above my stoma and near the edge of my wafer. I have tried the powder, antibiotic with bandaid and paste, all sorts of diaper rash stuff, Calmoseptine, etc. Any suggestions? It begins to secrete a couple of days after changing. Also, it looks like it has gotten to the second layer of skin. Any help would be appreciated.
Emeraldeyes

Hi Bear, I have had a sore near my stoma for more than a year now. It was getting bigger too, and I was panicking. The doctor started to cauterize it. Sent me home to cauterize it myself. After weeks, it shrunk slowly, and then sealed over, but reopened just a couple of weeks later. I have very sensitive skin though. You will have better luck, I'm sure. I just continue to cauterize it every few days, and it at least stays at the same size. Good luck. What fun we ostomates have!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,425 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WOUNDED DOE

Sores like that are frequently fistulas......but of course there are other reasons for such things and many methods of treatment. Perhaps it's a good idea to get a few opinions on it with your doctor and surgeon before it opens up, because no matter what type of owie it is, if and when it opens you will have more uncomfortable problems to deal with, possibly more difficulty with keeping the bag on as well if things are leaking under the tape....'tis always good to try to catch things early. You will be okay.

bes0642

Bear:
I had a sore near my stoma. It would not go away with stoma powder. I used SilvaSorbGel (this is a silver antimicrobial wound gel). It cleared up in about 4 days. It may not work for you, but it was a good thing for me. I even put a small dab under the adhesive. Of course, the adhesive didn't stick, but the spot went away. Good luck! Bob

Joymarla

My husband is on his second colostomy... going on two years this time. When he first got his second colostomy, he had a bleeding sore under the wafer. I spoke with the ostomy nurse who had no new information to give us after we had tried everything that had worked before. I then remembered that I had used ozone on a really bad infection that was taking his life the first time around so I decided to try it on the sore. I got my latest ozone machine on Amazon for around sixty-five dollars. I just put the tube near the sore, after covering the stoma with a moistened cap that I make from cutting a makeup remover pad to fit. I then cover the area with a plastic bowl to keep the ozone concentrated on the area, and cover that with a few disposable bed pads and a couple of towels for thirty minutes or so. We then powder the area and put the wafer on and it adheres just fine. The next time we remove the bag, most all traces of the sore are gone. The first time we did it, we could not believe our eyes. In three days' time, we could not tell he had even had it and we were about at our wits' end trying to heal it. He always stops eating and drinking and takes Imodium a couple of hours or so before he removes the bag to keep from having an accident and we have been very lucky with that most of the time. We put down pads just in case. Now, whenever it looks red at all under or around the wafer, we ozone for good measure. I have three machines now because I never want to be without this life-saving device. I hope this helps anyone who is having sores.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Van

Try Convatec Duoderm over the open lesion. Just cut a piece a little larger than the lesion and put the appliance on over it.

susjs

My experience was that it was a fungal infection. There is powder you sprinkle on it and it is miraculous.

First, however, you need to find out exactly what it is...

Susan