Reversal Surgery: Too Soon at 7 Weeks?

Replies
Views
sharon82657
Hello everyone,

I just came across this site late last night and am so glad I found it. My husband was admitted through the ER on March 31st. He unexpectedly experienced a perforated colon due to diverticulitis, which resulted in having surgery after 10 days of antibiotic treatment in the hospital. They removed his sigmoid colon and a portion of his rectum on April 10th. He was given a temporary ileostomy while the colon/rectum connection site healed. He has had his barium enema test and flex sigmoidoscopy, and the surgeon said everything was fine. He is scheduled for the reversal on May 31st. Here are my questions and concerns.

Is this reversal being done too soon? It's only been about 7 weeks. The surgeon stated the sooner the better as long as everything looks as well as it did.

The surgery was done laparoscopically, so does that make any difference?

Has anyone had this kind of reversal done, and if so, this soon?

I am worried now that I have read a lot of posts that the reversal surgery was not successful or the outcome was not what they expected. We feel like a duck out of water. I would like to hear any stories or advice you may have to help us through this.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope I explained and spelled everything properly.
bikerboy
Ileostomy Reversal Surgery
Click on this website. It's for reversals and is a free site. There are 58 members, so I'm sure it will help, and they tell the good and bad.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,434 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

notexpectingthis
Here is my advice for what it is worth:

- When in doubt, don't!!!!!

Is this surgeon a colorectal surgeon or just a regular surgeon? How much scar tissue was left behind after his last operation? I have been told by several colorectal surgeons that it takes at least 6 months for it to begin to smooth out, thus making surgery easier on the patient and the likelihood of success greater.

What is the rush? His body has been through hell - why can't he heal a little longer?

Is there any diverticulum disease left in his colon? Have you talked to more than one surgeon? This is serious business - a leak where they join the ends of his colon back together can cause peritonitis - then sepsis. I know this first hand.

Talk to the surgeon or another till y'all feel comfortable. This sounds really quick to me.
vikinga
Here is my experience for "what it's worth".
I too had a perforated bowel. I had my first surgery at the end of this past January. I was one sick lady because of the internal infection. I only spent 10 days at home in April before having to go back for a second surgery to correct an obstruction that caused a second perforation. I am blessed to be here. All the infection from the internal dumping caused heart problems and I am now on meds that I hopefully will be weaned off of at the end of November.
My surgeon and my main doctor do not even want to consider a reversal for a year. They want me strong and well. He was even unhappy about having to do the second surgery but there was no way to avoid it.
I would really question the hurry of your surgeon to do the reversal and look for other opinions. But by the look of the date you mentioned, I guess you have had to make a decision already. I wish you all the best.
Lisbett
Simiberry

I have had my ileostomy for exactly 8 weeks this Wednesday...and I will be having my reversal the same day. My barium enema test showed my J-pouch was amazing, which for me was no surprise--I have real bowel movements and have for weeks so my pouch has a higher capacity than most. But this is an exceptional rate of healing, and I must admit I am young and this wasn't an emergency surgery. My surgeon also specializes in women, but he is the best within 100, 200 miles. 8 weeks is the soonest to have a reversal based on the average rate of healing, for some people it is a longer period of time--3, 6 months even. The sooner the better is not always right, at least according to MY surgeon. It depends on the person and the situation regarding the need for an ostomy. I personally don't recommend laparoscopic for the next surgery because it increases the overall risk and often results in more scar tissue--but that's from my research and my surgeon's opinion. You don't have to have the reversal until you feel ready as a rule. If you would like a second opinion, get it. You don't have to keep that surgeon if you feel he doesn't view your husband's case as the individual one it is. He isn't an example from the medical university textbooks, he is a human being with a human background.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
kelltx
Hi,

I am usually a lurker but I felt the need to answer this.

I am wondering if your husband already had the reversal or not. I am myself going for a leak test in 4 weeks from the original surgery and if all looks good, I will have a reversal in 5 weeks.

My surgeon said 6 weeks is the minimum for reversal, but if I pass the leak test, I will have the reversal in 5. I trust my surgeon immensely.

I know a few people who had reversals in less than 7 weeks and are doing fine. If your husband didn't already have the procedure, then all the best. Trust your surgeon, leave it to him to make the decision. Make sure he is a colorectal surgeon and not a general surgeon or gastroenterologist. A colorectal surgeon knows what to do in these cases. They will not do a reversal if the time is not right for your husband.

Best wishes and let us know how your husband is doing ...