My First Holiday with a Stoma: Overcoming Challenges and Gaining Confidence

Replies
Views
Charchie
I thought I would share with you all my recent holiday experience.
This was my first time away from home since I had my stoma, and to be honest, if I could have gotten out of it, I would have.
I have experienced leaks, bags coming off night and day, so my fear was if this happens to me at home and work in the UK, how will I cope in the heat of Egypt!!!!
My case was full of medical supplies, bags, pouches, plastic sheeting, etc. I packed 60 of everything just in case!! On top of all that was the odd dress and 1 pair of shoes, plus my new swimwear for my new shape. Yes, my case was overweight, but I told my husband everything in my case was essential!!
Well, I had a fantastic holiday. I went swimming several times throughout the day every day, ate the local food, and had a blast. I don't regret taking my entire 3-month supply of equipment because it gave me peace of mind. We had such a great time that we have booked to go back next year!! Next time, I hopefully won't be as cautious, but I was just so relieved it went well for me. It has given me back some of my confidence.
flossie

Well done! It is a bit terrible the first time, but you covered all the most important points. Be prepared. Why are you experiencing bags lifting and leaking? What products do you use? Do you irrigate?

Flossie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,461 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Juuust_James

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time! But as you now know as an ostomate, you always have to be prepared for the worst. You can never be overprepared! The thing I have always told newcomers and people that have a lot of accidents is that you need to try every brand and style out there until you find what works for you. Because what gives me or someone else a week's wear time may only give you a day, so it's really important to find an appliance that is comfortable and secure, to help you get over the fears of having accidents all the time and worse, afraid to go out of the house and get back to a normal life and doing everything you used to do! Because you can.

zelenijurij

Hi from Slovenia! I have had a stoma for 8 months now. I will start irrigating before going for holidays at our sea. I hope I'll manage all as that will be my sea holidays after 15 years. I have decided for it's really a high time I do something for myself. I will take my Maltese doggie to be my company there. I only wish my stoma equipment won't make me too much trouble. I have before me some more than ten days which I will of course use for careful preparation to have with me all I would need.

Past Member

I have had my permanent colostomy since 2003. I irrigate and have done so since 2004. I have irrigated on several cruise ships, hotels, motels, and even on the Indian Pacific train that takes 3 days to cross the Australian continent from Perth to Sydney. Now THAT was an experience to behold. The train rocks from side to side making the water reservoir swing wildly. However, the irrigation process is so freedom-giving that I consider it essential. I irrigate every 48 hours.

Doug.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

I have had my permanent colostomy since 2003. I irrigate and have done so since 2004. I have irrigated on several cruise ships, hotels, motels, and even on the Indian Pacific train that takes 3 days to cross the Australian continent from Perth to Sydney. Now THAT was an experience to behold. The train rocks from side to side making the water reservoir swing wildly. However, the irrigation process is so freedom-giving that I consider it essential. I irrigate every 48 hours.

Doug.
Pinky
WOW! It is so great to hear all these success stories...especially the one about the train, Doug! I have shunned Amtrak because I didn't think there would be any way to irrigate, but I'll re-think that now. But I wonder...why does it always seem the men can irrigate every 48 hours when I absolutely cannot go beyond 24 hours? From what others have said, it seems that you men stick to a low fiber diet - just meat. Is that true for you too?

You folks are such an inspiration! Pinky
BERNADETTE

I use an old Soft Soap bottle with a plunger filled with water. Works great. But, what do you do when away from your own personal bathroom? Do you carry something with you? Please reply.

Bernadette.