Concerns about mucus color after radiotherapy?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
grommit

I have a colostomy and have had terrible phantom toilet pains, but never had any mucus down at all.
Now I have had some radiotherapy on my pelvis area, and this seems to have made me lose quite a lot of muck from my rectal stump.
Very odd question, but is anyone able to tell me what sort of color this mucus is! Very worried!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

When in doubt, consult with your doctor(s).

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill
Hello Grommit,

Some good advice from sinfulsot.    

My own mucus has been many different colours  and consistencies.  At present it is clear and plentiful. But on occasions it has been creamy in colour and consistency. Then again it has been hard lumps and almost brown like faeces.       

When it irritates me too much I will irrigate to try to get rid of the bulk of it.     However. I have found that whilst this gets rid of what's there and the smelly elements, it seems to be replaced by the introduced water, which then leaks out for days after.      I tend to use women's Tampax to soak up both the liquid and the mucus but it doesn't do much for the solids.  I do have some anal plugs that I used to use when I was incontinent. However, they are made of a material that is not very porous and so do not work so well for this particular problem.    

I hope that is helpful    

Best  wishes    

Bill
Bill
Hello again grommit,

Just a brief note to thank you for prompting me to pen another poem on this subject.     (see my blog for today)     It's so (perversely) inspiring when I feel I'm getting nowhere with the actual problem but people remind me that these are things that can be expressed in verse and it helps to let the frustration out.     

Best wishes  

Bill
grommit

Hi Bill, thanks very much for that. Mine seems to be a very deep purple color, like very, very old blood. Maybe I am right to be worried. I just hope the radiotherapy I have just had on the pelvis will zap that also.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill
Hello Grommit,

Very old sounds as if it might be good. Sometimes this gunk can stay up there for ages before it decides to come loose and make its way out. What you describe might be indicative of the healing process rather than something to be concerned about.  

As sinfulsot suggested, it might be  a good idea to get some professional advice.   After all, the rectal stump can't be that large an area to have a proper look at - with the right tools.  

Best wishes    

Bill