Need Help with Colostomy Leakage

Replies
Views
MrsPetersen
Hello
I was told in October 2011 that my colostomy was temporary. Now my surgeon tells me he cannot reverse it. I desperately need help controlling leakage. Sometimes the wafer only lasts one day. I thought I could live with it because it was temporary.. but if it is for life, I need help! I should say my stomach is not flat. My stoma is sitting in a fold. Does that make sense? How long can you wear the wafer before changing it?
ron in mich

Hi Mrs. Petersen and welcome to the site. I would say your surgeon did you no favors by putting your stoma in a fold of skin, but have you looked into irrigating and not having to wear a pouch? If you have an ET nurse in your area, contact her and see what she can tell you about it or Google it on the net. Good luck, Ron in Mich.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

callie

Sorry, you can't have a reversal, but it isn't the end of the world. It is very possible that you are not wearing the right appliance. Contact the manufacturers and ask for samples. Since you have a colostomy and your stoma is in a fold, you may want to think about wearing a one-piece. This molds better to your body and could eliminate the leaks. Also, if you use adhesive remover, don't use it as often or stop. Sometimes this is the cause of leakage.

vikinga
Hi,
I also had a lot of leakage problems. One day they had to change it 7 times!!!...while I was still in the hospital. Talk about ready to cry with frustration.
Here are some of the things I have learned in the short time I have been an ostomate (ileostomy). And by the way, I have a very irregular one too.
1. Don't use any baby wipes or such to clean with. They usually contain some kind of moisturizing ingredient which can cause the flange not to stick properly.
2. If I can, I set things up so I can let warm shower water run over the area while I clean. I usually take advantage of this and shower completely.
3. Using a hairdryer to help dry the area, being careful to get in the creases and folds while holding a clean gauze or folded toilet paper over the stoma (just in case), makes a huge difference. I then use the barrier spray...let it dry.
4. It is very important to try different types and brands of bags. Not all work for me. You can get a lot of free samples by contacting the different companies that make them. I have found that for me, the convex precut works the best. I also use a bit of paste around the inner edge and some barrier ring molded to fill the ravine that comes down from my surgery scar.
5. Make sure that the size you are using is as close to your stoma as is safely possible.

I hope some of this helps!!

Lisbett
notexpectingthis

Get a second opinion from a colorectal surgeon before you give up!!!!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Other ostomy sites for tips and tricks:
www.ostomy.org
www.ostomyland.org

mooza

I'm with NET, get a second opinion. I understand where you're coming from. My ileo was for 12 months, but I had not one problem. It was the perfect stoma; it should have been in a magazine. I did get reversed, but I was too unwell again as they left micro bits of Crohn's. They must have forgotten to tell me. Now, that leaking situation, I use 1-piece Sensura pouchy. It does go with the folds as well. It also is a shallow convex, so it pushes my not-so-perfect 3rd-time stoma out a bit more. Also, there is a new pouch in Oz called A MIO from Coloplast. If you can get a heap of pouches to try, please do. That's awful that your surgeon said temp now, not. I feel for you. He must be a lazy ahole. I would have asked a surgeon who was into osty reversals to help. This makes me so angry. I wanna put a crappy stoma on surgeons and have expensive holidays. See how they feel. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR x x x x x x Mooza, so sorry you've been let down. x.x.x. I know that bloody feeling too, but you have us, so that's a great thing, I reckon. x x x x x t c and don't forget to try for reversal and try to get as many free samples as you can. Cheers, luv. .x

MrsPetersen

Thanks to everyone who posted. Now that I have calmed down, I have decided to seek a second opinion. It is so frustrating. No one ever calls you back. I have called the stroma care nurse twice this week and still no reply. Grrrrr....
Thank you again

gee07

Hi Mooza,
Glad to see you are back to your fighting self.
Hope I didn't upset you by having to sign off from chat before you got back to your computer.
Take care.
Gee07

snowflake1515

Hi, I had the same problem because my colostomy was an emergency. It wasn't put in a great place. Mine is in a dip and my scar was very close to the stoma, so I had a lot of leaks. But I eventually found Secuplast mouldable seal. I use half of the seal and mould it into the dip before attaching my flange. It works great for me. I still get occasional leaks, but only if I have very loose stools. Worth a try.

vikinga

I also have the problem of the scar being close to the stoma (and my stoma is below where my belly button used to be...in the middle....but hey, after being given a 50/50 chance of survival in each of my 2 surgeries, that is the lesser of my concerns....just frustrating. I also found that the Convatec convex one-piece works best. The area around my stoma is very uneven. A piece of the moldable seal helps fill in the dip from the scar that reaches the appliance.

I want to add an update here. I have just tried the Nu-Hope bag. Wow! I love it!!! I got brave and used nothing else as they recommended (as in paste, moldable ring, skin prep) and I have now gone two days with no problems. It has a moldable convex barrier that just extends out so there is no tape section. It also has a smaller flange area and is very cushiony. Very comfy. No leaks so far. The only thing I did add on the outside was a piece of additional flange seal made by Coloplast, up where the ravine of my scar comes down.

Lisbett

Past Member
Keep harassing them, Mrs. Petersen!
Past Member
Hi
I have periods where the stoma behaves, and times where I need to change the bag several times during the day.
I've more success if I'm strict enough to make sure the area's clean and dry. I use paste to seal around the cut-out. I'm careful to place the bag hole around the wound, then wear sloggis (maxi) to support the bag.
Recently (I've not been a stoma sufferer for long), I've discovered that if my output is thick and pushes the bag away from my skin, pouring 1-2 tbsp of water into the bag when I empty it helps to prevent "pancaking".