Cat Claws vs. Ostomy Bags: Any Mishaps?

Replies
Views
rachel_louise

This may sound like a really stupid post but here goes!

I adopted 2 rescue cats at the weekend and on the way home I kept one pet carrier on my knee in the car, we had to stop and change places part way home because little claws kept poking through the carrier and getting too close to my bag for comfort! Now we have them home, they're little mischievous things and keep climbing all over me. I've got a few scratches and plucks in my clothes which leads me to my question... Has anyone ever had any mishaps with cat claws and ostomy bags!?

bmeup

OMG yes! My sister has yard cats and they are great little critters who love to hop up on your lap when you're least expecting it. I learned to be very careful and kind of guard my lap because those little claws can definitely poke holes. Be careful! Inspect after they love on you or teach them to avoid that area if you can.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

rachel_louise

Haha, so it does happen. I'm not being daft! It was something that never crossed my mind before getting them! I'll just have to try and protect it with some careful positioning!

bmeup

Yes, teach them to roll off your lap and not jump off!

Simiberry

I had a tough time keeping my tabby off my tummy in the beginning. Sometimes she still tries to sneak onto me to cuddle. To lower puncture risk, I simply trim her claws every few days and taught her that my thighs are just as comfortable a space. You gotta watch them! The best thing is to keep a hand over your bag so they don't step on it. My cat is an avid mouser and sharpens her claws daily. I got her in the habit of letting me trim her claws by stroking her paws while scratching her favorite spots and cooing. Miraculously, and unrelated, if I do the same when I try to give her a bath, she doesn't fight more than a dog would. Or at least my dog. The bugger weighs 60 pounds and also likes to cuddle... which doesn't happen anymore. But I'm rambling! Good luck with your rescues!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Xerxes

I never realized that this could be a problem. Thankfully, I have a dog.

X_

mild_mannered_super_hero
I use that same technique on my girlfriend... except the claw trimming part...
Orange72

My mom has a not-so-small French poodle and my neighbors' kids have a strange-looking dog, but they both jump on me when they can. And of course, their little heavy paws land exactly where I have my bag!
I try to softly remove them from me, but I always wonder why they jump on my left side, always!!!!

Yukon steve

My dog Max, after he found my bag the first time, would come running up and get his nose under my clothes and pull my bag off as a game.

Lecia

I can relate to the cat. I have a Maine Coon cat. She is really beautiful. When I first came home from the hospital, she would want to come up and sit on my lap. Well, I couldn't let her because I was still healing from my surgery. After a few days, she got the message and would not even attempt it. That was 4 years ago and to this date, she won't even come up on my lap when I want her. The last few days, she is wanting to be close to me so I just pick her up and put her on the couch close to me and pet and massage her. She really loves that. She is so obedient and knows the word "no". As far as clawing at my pouches, she knows I have them but doesn't bother them.

Theresa

I am sure you are going to enjoy your cats. They are there for you. They seem to know how you are feeling and it is such a good feeling to run your hand over a cat to pet it. I just lost one, a little female, who was out in the cold for a year before she came in. I had her for fourteen years and it was a pleasure to have her. I have her brother, who I brought in at six months. I am a cat lover and know how much they are there for you. I do not have a pouch on the outside, so that is not a problem for me. I wish you all the very best with your cats.

Past Member

Our cat has long passed away, but in the days she was with us, I had a towel handy. When she condescended to join me, I spread the towel across my lap to avoid any damage. That worked most of the time. The cat's name was Cassie, full name Cassandra. Named by my daughters. I just called her "cat". Trouble was, I also had a dog (more a man thing!) and the cat was not impressed.

Enjoy your two!

Doug
Orange72
What!!!!! I would just fall apart if a dog did that!!!!