Spanx Undergarments

In this discussion
Replies
Views
sooziq
Hi,
Just wondered if any ladies with ileostomy have tried or do wear Spanx or any of the undergarments that hold in your stomach? If so, does it cause leaks? Also, anyone know how to alter jean and pant stomach area to be larger, I guess like maternity pants??
Thanks
Sooziq
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady
Hi Sooziq
I take it that you are in the US? I used a similar product (magic knickers in the UK) in the days when my hernia was much smaller and they did help, though I was quite vigilant and checked the bag often. Nowadays, unfortunately, my hernia is so big I have to have a huge corset literally 'built' for me with a hole in it for the bag to poke through and to support my back which has been affected by it all. Not the sexiest thing I have ever worn!

Sorry, I am no seamstress so wouldn't be able to advise on the altering of jeans - maybe going down the maternity route would be a good idea? I just wear the stretch ones with lycra in which also help to support the hernia.

Good luck with it all.

Rachel x
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Butterfly

Sooziq

Some of the undergarments made for people with appliances like us seem too tight to me and help cause leaks. Others are better.

I wear a hernia belt, not because I have a hernia (though it does give great support and lessens the stomach pains I used to get). This belt has a plastic ring that sits around the ileostomy and has helped stop leaks.

I did buy a pair of maternity jeans but they felt too big.

I hope you can get fixed up with something that suits you.

It's so important for us gals to feel as good as possible with what we wear.

...Butterfly

akinsv16
Hi Sooziq!!!
When I first had my surgery three years ago, I had the same problems. I tried maternity clothes and everything else. Spanx undergarments are not good because they don't leave room to expand. Since then, what I found out is that you don't need anything different than before your surgery. It may take you a little longer to find the right pants or jeans or skirts, but you don't need to alter your clothes. I make sure that my jeans cover at least almost to the top of my surgery and that they are not extremely tight around my waist. I have tried many different underwear until I found a brand that I like. Of course, you can no longer wear little sexy underwear, but you can still wear sexy jeans, pants, and any other clothes you wish to wear.
By the way, the maternity pants didn't work for me. The elastic waistband was too tight and thick for my surgery. Good luck. Just keep trying different things.
keysgirl

I've tried tummy control panties, but a couple of times when I was out and about, my pouch came loose and it was a big mess. I have a hernia and so far nothing disguises the hump on the left of my abdomen. Ostomysecrets makes panties, but they are too expensive.

It is pretty frustrating. We need someone out there to design ostomy-friendly clothes.

Live well...

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
lottagelady

Hi girls, have a look at the post from 'sweede' regarding the donated underwear. Received a few of these today from him, nice material with some support, but not so much it causes problems! Rachel x