Anyone else experiencing itching with Coloplast two-piece system?

Replies
Views
dnl74

Just wondering if anyone has problems with itching? I use the Coloplast two-piece system. It seems to itch mostly under the mesh adhesive part.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Yes, I had trouble with the "tape" part of the "soft" flanges. I switched to the rigid type which is Coloplast #12716.
I'm sure your supplier or Coloplast would send you a few free samples to try. I also had trouble getting the tape residue to come completely off my skin without using a chemical adhesive remover, which I think contributed to skin irritation under the flange.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,381 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

firedup

When the itching starts driving me nuts, I just cut the tape part off and wear an ostomy belt for added security..... Take care, Gail

Primeboy

I rarely have any itching under the tape; but when I feel itching under the flange, it's time to change. Usually I get 4-5 days wear out of a change, but if I feel any itching around the 3rd day, I change ASAP. When I examine the crime scene, I will notice evidence of minor leakage which caused the irritation that caused the itching. Any delay in changing can lead to a blowout; so itching is my early warning system. Since brand names have been mentioned in this thread, I use Hollister products and am completely satisfied with their reliability. PB

gutenberg
I gotta agree with you PB, its almost as if there is a built in mechanism in the flange, and when I feel that itch there's no horsing around and when I remove the flange there is usually a sign a leak was in the beginning stages for a blowout. Especially at night, one shouldn't take the chance it will last 'till morning. Tried that a couple of times, so we're a slow learner, but we no longer take that chance, Ed

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
CALYPSO

I work on the principle: if I can feel it, it's not right!

gutenberg
Hi CALYPSO, your methot is short but effective, or effectively short, Ed
christiesdad
Hey guys,

I am curious about one thing - when I had my colostomy, I had heard that if it was due to an emergency, which mine was, I could have a reversal in one year. (Mine was due to the emergency room personnel piercing my colon while injecting Lovenox, a blood thinner for dissolving clots. They punctured my colon eight times. I was admitted for congestive heart failure, nothing to do with my colon. As a matter of fact, I had a colonoscopy just three months before and everything was fine. I began to swell in my abdomen and they could not figure out why. So, after a few days of that, (I was beginning to die!!) someone decided to open me and see what the hell was going on, and guess what? They discovered that I had crap where it was not supposed to be. Peritonitis (?) I think. Then they removed all but about eight inches of my colon.
But my question is, aren't all colostomies considered emergencies? So why could you guys not have a reversal? I don't understand. I have had mine since 2009 and have been well with it, although, I have heard some horror stories in this forum about others' experiences, like having 2 or 3 redos. What is the determination as to whether it can be done or not? If it is cancer-related, could they not just remove that part?

Excuse my ignorance, I just have never had it explained to me. You know the doctors' attitude in that it really is none of our business.
Primeboy

Jack, not all colostomies or ileostomies are emergencies. I needed colon surgery because in a routine colonoscopy, the doctor found precancerous tissues. I had one or two months to make a decision on surgery, but I decided to have it done right away. Why play Russian Roulette? So, I had a chunk of my colon removed and had the J-pouch reversal within 5 months. Things went reasonably well for 6 years, but more precancerous tissue showed up elsewhere in the remaining colon. I said "Enough already!" to myself and had it all removed. I never looked back. I could have had a "redo," but the likelihood of frequent leakage and trots was not the option I could accept.

My doctor said that, with the actual presence of cancer in the colon, partial surgery is not desirable. It is only delaying the inevitable. I was told that many surgeons feel that patients who are over 50 are not the best candidates for J-pouch surgery. I was 60 when I had it, and I healed very nicely. Anyway, that's my story. PB