Colostomy Reversal

Replies
Views
BobbyG

Have not been on this site for awhile. Had a successful reversal surgery over a year ago. All went well and am back to normal. Thanks to all for the prayers and support.

Robert from OC, CA.

dehms

Congrats on your surgery going well. I am scheduled to have a reversal in May. I am very nervous since I almost died when this happened in Oct. I am going to stay positive though.

Have a great day,

Denise from NY

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

So happy for you. Thanks for letting us know. Success stories don't get posted as often as they occur, I'm afraid, for various reasons.

hockeymom5331

Great to hear! I am nervous about reversal with an appointment on May 2 with colonoscopy and decision on if I am ready. If I am, the reversal will take place on May 3. Nervous due to all complications from the original surgery. Can't help but wonder, what is the stoma area like after reversal? Any thoughts on the whole process of reversal are appreciated. Also, will need to flush for the colonoscopy. Advice? I imagine it's messy.

BobbyG
I also had complications and nearly died from acute diverticulitis. I was in the hospital for a month. I used the colostomy bag for 6 months, and then my doctor had me do a test to determine if I healed enough to have the reversal. The flush wasn't too bad. The test in the hospital was pretty uncomfortable. In my case, a balloon was inserted into my anus and filled with liquid, and a camera was used to check healing and strength. It was hard to hold the balloon in while pictures were taken, but I did it knowing it was necessary to assure I was ready. I'm not sure if you will have the same test. Anyway, I was good to go, thank God, and had my reversal 2 weeks later. I was hospitalized for 3 days and had my first normal bowel movement 2 days after being released. Stay near a bathroom. My hernia around my stoma was also repaired, and I only have a 3-inch scar line where the stoma was. You, myself, and many others on this site have been through so much. The reversal was much less complicated, and the healing was far quicker than the original colostomy. Keep positive! It's going to go well for you. Hang in there and please keep me/us posted. My thoughts and prayers are with you. You can do it!!

Robert from So. CA.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister