Looking for Alternatives to Coloplast Ostomy Plugs

Replies
Views
patri

Does anyone know of a vendor other than Coloplast that makes stoma plugs? Apparently Coloplast has discontinued the making of them. I've heard good things, but not many seem to even know about them.

mild_mannered_super_hero

I have never used the plugs. I did send for some samples of the "patch". I haven't had the time to try them yet, but will when I'm on vacation in July. You can Google "ampatch" or www.ampatch.com

I'd be interested to know how they work for you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

patri

Those patches look like very small stoma caps, which are about three inches round and otherwise the same as those pictured. Coloplast 2501, insurance covers 30 a month. They are great because they stick just like a bag ~ super secure ~ but are just plain smaller and lower profile. Liquid or solid, the caps will hold for as long as needed. Once I was asleep and expressed so much (new chemo) into a cap that it was a tight ball on my stomach when I woke; a miracle I didn't roll onto it, I suppose. It held, I felt blessed! Another time I expressed about half a cup of pure liquid; held for two hours until I could change. Those expressions are rare since I irrigate as do you, I recall; chemo makes things a bit unpredictable that way for a few days so I've been using the cap more since I have a good stock up. (I donate bags but keep my caps for sure!) When not concerned about chemo side effects, I go with just a cotton round and pressure while applying a 2 x 4 inch band-aid. Those will also hold up to a quarter cup expression liquid or solid for a good amount of time till you can change real quick...no filter though so it's a toss-up for me right now: which do I like better..cap or band-aid? Can't choose either since sometimes the band-aid really gives my skin a rest and sometimes I just FEEL like a band-aid instead of...(boy did someone open a chatterbox, lol)

There is a big difference that I see though...those ampatches stick like a 2 x 4 band-aid does; a thin round of sticky around the small cotton round inside the patch. Probably not as "secure no matter what" as a cap, but I've never actually had a mess with band-aids, they hold up really well too...no matter what. Although, I'm not issuing any challenges to the universe

I will order some samples and certainly shout out how I find it...you too, right?

Thank you, Hero, for the chat.

Bill
Hello patri,

Just to let you know that I recieved my usual delivery this week of plugs  made by Coloplast (1445 conseal plug).   I hope you wrong about them not making them any more as they suit me very well.

Best wishes

Bill
patri
I could be wrong, Bill. All I did was a search on the product and then read in a conversation somewhere on this web that this was so. It could easily be wrong and hopefully is. Currently, I have fallen in love with the stoma caps and have wearied of band-aids and potential or real messes. I like how the caps lie flat, a belt or belly band secures them from being seen even if my shirt is blown against me flat and come what may wherever I may be when I may, no drama; not even a reason to blink, in fact. The stifler I purchased is still on standby for long social engagements like a ride to Disney or a day at the park.

Meanwhile, I appreciate the chance to chat. I apologize for having little information to give, mostly questions and appreciation is what I offer. I benefit greatly from the feeling that there are others in this world experiencing what I'm experiencing and still maintaining their lives and relationships, that there are others having already adjusted to their bodies and are finding life goes on and it's not a big deal, and definitely life is fun and full and good.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

I'm a newbie stranger in stoma land, so pardon me, but what and why a stoma cap? Presume you are not talking about a cap for cold days or a baseball cap to hide the little (soon to be, I hope) stoma.

Bill
Hello StephenF. Welcome to the ostomy world.  The ostomy plugs and caps are probably of most use to those of us who irrigate, where the contents are disposed of all in one go and then we don't need to attend to it again until the next irrigation session.  - otherwise a bag is the obvious choice as there is likely to be continuous or unpredictable output which needs to be caught in something. I have never used a 'cap' but presume it will be eqivalent to a 'plug' -without the plug!  i.e. basically a sticking plaster with room for the stoma to be free from the glue.   I use a plug - which can best be described as similar to women's tamons but designed with one end attached to a sticking plaster so that it doesn't get 'lost' in the stoma.  The idea being that the plug will stop the faeces from leaking out until the plug is removed.  If you were to irrigate, this could be anything from one or two days.(very convenient if you don't want the fag of having to keep emptying bags all day.)  As with all these devices if you want to have a look at them just ask the companies for a sample - they are always willing to send these in the hope that you may become a customer.

Best wishes

Bill
Past Member

Bill and others,
Thanks for clearing up the mystery. The reality isn't close to what I imagined!
And, thanks for the tip about samples. There are a few things I've seen in the Edgepark catalog that might be helpful without buying a box of 30.
-Steve

Past Member

I think Convatec's Vitala is the plug you might be thinking of.