Experiences with Ileostomy Reversal? Seeking advice on recovery and symptoms.

Replies
Views
cherylem
Hello all
Finally had my reversal after 3 years. I swear I would never recommend it to anyone. I went through so much pain and I am still recovering from it. I had it July 9th. My question is, is there anyone else who has had it done and what are some of the things they experienced? I had an infection sit in my stomach where they stapled me. I had to re-enter the hospital and they had to cut me open and drain the infection. They sent me home with my stomach open and had nurses come in and do care on me and dress the wound. The problem I am having is a lot of diarrhea and a lot of soreness in my stomach after eating a meal. My wound is almost closed but I hate the cramps and soreness I get. I have been given lomotil for the diarrhea to slow it down. If I had to do it over again...I wouldn't have had the operation. I had gotten used to my ostomy and at least I wasn't going to the bathroom every time I turned around and never had pain in my stomach like I do now. I know my doctors tell me it takes time, but it seems forever. So if anyone has had this done, I'd appreciate some feedback.
Thank you, sincerely Cheryle M.
StarUK
Hang in there, Cheryl. It's still very early days. I know what it's like to end up with a wound that needed draining. My tummy looked like a side of beef! I am sure in a few months' time, things will be better and you will be glad you did it. I know it's hard to imagine life being better right now, but it will. It's normal for people's bowel to take a while to settle down after surgery. It can go either way - too much or too little. When you think about it, it's had a huge trauma. It's entitled to have a hissy fit. I am thinking about you and I hope things brighten for you.

Trish/Staruk
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

cherylem

Thank you so much, Trish, for the encouragement and you are right. I guess it should have a hissy fit. I do try to eat small meals a day so I don't overdo. I know when I had the ostomy, I was eating a lot all day. I am looking forward, within the next month, to see all this slow down and I want to put it behind me as soon as possible and I want to get back home to Utah and be with my husband. I had the surgery in Illinois where it had all happened to me and the doctor from Utah told me to go back to the doctor that had operated on me. I sure miss home and have been very anxious to get back. Thank you for your note, and God bless you.
Sincerely, Cherylem

StarUK

Well, considering what you have been through, you're entitled to be anxious. Being away from your husband and familiar surroundings are just another stress for you. Just remember, you have survived all of this and you're doing all the right things. Life can only get easier.
Trish

jodelin

At first, after my reversal, I regretted it too. It is hard to be trapped or tied to the bathroom. I thought I was limited with the ostomy, but nothing like I was right after my reversal.
I am almost 4 months out and I still have accidents. I don't understand why. But, I am able to leave the house sometimes. I wear a Depends when I leave the house. But, it is getting better. I have more control than I used to have. I take probiotics and enzymes before each meal. That has helped my food travel through me slower. I have to watch what I eat. Sugar is for sure a way to hang out in the bathroom a lot. Soda tastes bad and causes gas. Vegetables I have started with very gingerly. Only cooked as my nutritionist said. They don't cause me any problems unless I eat them raw. I have tried some raw fruit with no problems.
I do the butt muscle exercises but still have accidents. I don't understand why. But it is almost like I can't feel my body in the spot that I need to prior to having to go to the bathroom. But sometimes I am able to stop myself from going but not always. Haven't figured that out yet.
I had cancer, so I had radiation and that hasn't helped me heal up, that is for sure. It did take care of the tumor but the afterwards has been harder due to radiation.
It does get better. It is baby steps though. It can take up to a year or so, that is what I have been told. But, there is a gradual improvement. I wish we could be like some that say they only had to watch what they ate for 2 weeks, never had accidents. But, I am not able to be that lucky. I used to be a very lucky person. And, apparently that is no longer the case. But I am thankful for all the good luck I have experienced in my life, including the clean pathologist's report after the colon re-section.
Good luck and hang in there. You will hopefully be happy you had the reversal soon.
I am sending you good thoughts and prayers.

Jody

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
latina63
Well, if you had asked me right after my reversal, I definitely would have said I regretted it...but now, after 11 months, I am so happy I did it. Our digestive system is so sensitive, and it takes time, and lots of it, to heal and get back to a new "normal". We will never be normal like before, as our insides are not normal anymore, but we will adjust.
At first, the pain in my rectum was so bad I didn't think I was going to survive (my tumor was in my rectum), but now it has gotten a lot better. I'm able to sit longer, and eating lots of fiber helps me to go a lot easier. I did not have to have radiation like Jodelin, so maybe that's why I can control my rectal muscles better. I do have a small stricture from scarring, so I have to "work" at it on some days.
It will get better for you. I only had my ileostomy for 11 months. I think the longer you have them, the harder it is for your body to adjust. You will be happy you did it, maybe just not now, and that's okay.
cherylem

Things are getting a little better but I'm still numb in my stomach and sore where my ostomy used to be...still hoping and praying for more comfort. Been almost 3 months now, but I'm back home in Utah and looking for a doctor for this. Thanks everyone and God bless and keep you all well.
Cherylem