Has anyone tried Cavilon for stoma sore problems? Need advice!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
hometown

I am still suffering with terrible stoma issues, and the ET nurses kept changing products but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I need something that will heal and protect me. I use no paste, just the stomahesive powder, but nothing clears it. My stoma is way too low, so as I walk it rubs and none of my doctors want to look at this mess. I will be seeing a new gastroenterologist next week and hope he will look and see what he thinks before I go for the colonoscopy. I would appreciate anyone who has used this product to let me know if it is good. Thanks, Hometown.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I'm sorry that you're having skin problems. I haven't used Cavilon around my stoma, but you mentioned that your stoma rubs when you walk - is it rubbing against your pant belt-line? If so, have you considered looking at some stoma protection belts like Ostomy Armor or the one from Stomaplex? You should even be able to wear a seatbelt over your stoma if you're wearing one of those.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
iMacG5
Hi Hometown.  I've used 3M Cavilon no sting barrier wipes since day one and when I didn't get a good seal between the wafer (or Eakin Seal) and the skin, the skin was protected and not damaged in any way.  Just be sure it dries which takes a minute or less.

If your skin is damaged already, I suggest you use the "crusting" method.  Powder, then Cavilon, dry, powder again then Cavilon again.  Other contributors on this site swear it works.

Good luck,

Mike
Past Member
Hi Hometown and I too am so sorry for this experience you are having. I do use Cavilon spray and have had pretty good luck with it. I use it every time I change my appliance, making sure to spray the skin all the way around the stoma. Where is your stoma in relation to your navel?

I have to say I'm disappointed in your doctors as none of them should have a problem looking at it or trying to help you. Your gastro should definitely not have a problem either so hope that goes well for you. My stoma is very close to my belt line but it has never irritated it. I just have pancaking issues...ugh! Nothing about this is fun but it is better than the alternative. Let us know what happens...we all really care.

God bless
Judi
hometown

Hi all, well today I picked up my Cavilon spray and did exactly what they say when using it. I did use a little stomahesive powder and repeated the process. I know it will take some time but I just hope I get some relief. My stoma is placed about 2 inches from my thigh crease and I have been told it is in a horrible place and I can't see it without the use of a mirror. I know this is one of the reasons I have so many problems, but my respiratory is not good and both of my doctors feel surgery to replace the stoma would be dangerous for me. Mine was emergency surgery not done by a good surgeon down south. I will let you all know if Cavilon helps me and if it does, a Christmas miracle will be here. Thanks for your help, Hometown.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

I have a Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film in front of me, so make sure you get the No Sting Barrier Film. I have also used Stomahesive Protective Powder, which is good. I also, at one time, had to get a prescription for Nystop 100,000 Units/GM Powder, and it says to follow the directions: "Apply sparingly to affected area." That means that you should sort of dust off the area, but it is wonderful for areas that are beet red around the stoma. I sure hope this helps.

Another thing, at one time, I had a fungus, so they put me on some kind of prescription beginning with an F (that's a huge help--just can't find the info right now), but that took about 10 days for the area to heal up.

Sure hope some of what I have put here helps and good luck!!!

jerseyrobert

Hi, I had that problem. I had surgery to bring the stoma out more. Now I have no problems at all. Talk to a very good surgeon about your problem and how it affects your quality of life.

vikinga
Hi Hometown,
I too have a stoma in a weird place....smack dab in the middle between where my belly button used to be and pubes. I had many issues with a sore developing in the area under the stoma. Through trial and error, I have come across what really works for me. Mind you, I use a deep convex bag by Marlen because my skin around the stoma is not flat. But what really seems to work for me is the 4" Adapt Barrier ring by Hollister trimmed to about 3 1/2". It is moldable, and I use it under my one-piece bag, up against the skin. My skin really appreciates it, and no more sores. I have also recently used a piece of Aloe plant instead of the barrier film. Works GREAT!! and has the benefit of being healing to the skin. Just be careful to trim the sharp edges off, open the piece of leaf to expose the inner gel, and glide it over your skin area. Then just let it dry and apply everything else as usual. It really doesn't take any longer to dry than the barrier wipes/spray.
Good luck. You will become the expert on your needs! This forum is great for ideas.
ostomyvisitor
Hometown,

I'm not sure if you're asking about a skin problem?... If you are, try Maalox. Get a bottle at the drug store, pour out the liquid on top and take a cotton ball and dab the thick solution around your stomal skin. Let it dry... then place your appliance on (it will stick!). The solution will solve an excoriated skin problem in a few days.

Most of the members in my group do this when they develop skin problems.
edithmbooth

My ileostomy is 7 weeks old and I have used Cavilon from day 1... sometimes I have to layer with powder... but seems to work well.
Best wishes

stomafart
Hi there,
I have used Cavilon spray around my stoma. I put Aloe Vera stoma powder on the raw skin first, then brush the excess off with tissue and spray the area with Cavilon spray. I apply a cut stoma bag extender and apply this to the raw skin, then use a Cavilon stick on my skin and on the cut extender and apply the bag. To finish off, I use 2 extensions on the bag top and bottom and voila, no leaks ever (which I suffered from) and the skin heals well with this procedure.
Give it a try.

Good luck
Stomafart
Past Member

Hello
Sorry to read about people with problems. I have used Cavilon for a long time and I prefer to use the 'lollipop' version which comes in a sterilized pack. It is easy to use and reaches all the places where it can be sore around the stoma. I recommend it. All the best,
Francine xo

hometown

Thanks everyone for your replies and I will be trying all of them. I am not sure if I am allergic or just such a mess, but after using the Cavilon I was so itchy and I caused more problems. I am still using it and hope it will help. I have to see where I can purchase an Aloe plant. Thanks again.

Hometown

gee07

Hometown, I too use Cavilon spray and it works well for me, have been using it for years.
I sometimes get an itchy feeling when I have just applied a new appliance but I put it out of my head and it goes. You may find it doesn't agree with you but if that's the case, you won't be able to stop scratching, believe me. I have had some things that haven't agreed with my skin in the past and that happens. It is a good product so try it for a while, might help to change your bag a little more often than usual, found that has helped in the past for me. I think the trick is to try and not put too much on the skin. What about the flange could that be not agreeing with your skin. There are some products that I cannot wear. Trial and error with most of us, I think!!
Failing that, now this may sound odd but the white of an egg is the most natural healer going.
I have used this in the past, even used it when my grandson's had nappy rash.
Only thing is to put it on when you are alone and can sit with the appliance off but it does work.
Good luck Gee

Tootie

I have used all methods and products listed above and have had success with all. I switch products depending on how severe my skin is irritated, including Caladryl. Just dab it on, but be sure to let it dry or the wafer will not stick. Caladryl is calamine lotion with Benadryl, so it does help with itching.

vikinga

Hi again Hometown! If you can find a Hispanic grocery store near you, they usually sell Aloe leaves in a large size. The great thing is you can cut off a slice of the leaf and use it another day. The cut dries. Just be careful to trim the sharp edges off and open it to the gel before using. I usually get it ready before taking off the old bag. I use the Aloe instead of the Cavilon.
Good luck!