Long-lasting ostomy options and bag security methods?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Golfaddict

I have had my ileostomy for 2 years now and I use a 2-piece system, Coloplast Easiflex. I only get 2 or at best 3 days from the base plates, so I was wondering what other longer-term ostomates use. As you can imagine, changing it every 2 or 3 days makes the surrounding skin sore and irritable.

I am also interested to find out what others use to secure their bags to the body, if you use anything, rather than simply letting the bag swing free per se.

Thank you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Hope you're well for one. Wondering why you only get 2 or 3 days of use? Do you have leakage problems?
Do you give your skin a break at all? I keep my entire appliance off at least every second shower and give the skin a nice break. I also use a two-piece system. I am not sure what you mean by keeping it secure to your body because wouldn't it tuck in your underwear? I personally fold mine upwards so the closure is parallel with my underwear waistband and pant line. Even if you wear boxers, this should work. It gives you less volume to work with but I empty mine as soon as there is the slightest bulge. I even wear my skinny jeans and get away with it. Been two years for me too and I thought my life was over at first. Of course, I would rather not have an ileostomy at all but I have adapted. All the best. We are all survivors, not victims!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Penguins7

Hi Golfaddict, I too only get 2 days and 3 max from a flange. With going to work, I need the peace of mind that all is well down there. I hope over time I can increase my flange wear time to 4-5 days. I use the 2-piece system. I purchased the ostomy underwear that have the pouch in them that work great for securing the bag. I also developed a stoma flow guard device that I have been wearing, which keeps the wafer secure to my body. Each time I change the flange, I wash the stoma area very well with Dial soap and rinse well. Stay well and good luck. Penguins7

vikinga

Hi Penguins7. Okay, I'm intrigued. Can you tell us more about this "stoma flow guard device" you've come up with? Also, I would recommend using simple ivory soap instead of Dial for washing around the stoma. Less chemicals and possible irritants or moisturizers to mess with your skin or flange.

TB Cat

I used to have that problem. After trying a lot of products, I was able to consistently get long wear times with Cymed Micro Skin one-piece pouches. Now I typically change every 6-7 days and can shower in between changes with no problems. I also use a skin barrier and a Hollister Moldable seal (similar to an Eakin seal).
I recommend getting some samples from Cymed and trying them.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Margy

I use my hair dryer to heat up the flange just a bit and it helps it to stick better. I use the Convatech 2-piece system. I also use the hair dryer to make it easier to snap together the bag and flange as I have arthritis. Hope it works for you!! I can go a week or more.

Monsieur Le President

Unless you stop eating, drinking (golfing), that's all you're gonna get.
I have always worn an appliance that takes a belt, for added security.
I use a two-piece Convatec, 'cause it's the only one I can find with lugs for a belt.
Changes occur sometimes 4-5 days, sometimes twice a day.

Penguins7
Hello Vikinga, thanks for your advice on the Ivory versus the Dial soap. I was under the impression that the Dial was the one with no chemicals or moisturizers. As far as my stoma guard (I have a different name for it that I can't disclose at this time), after my surgery, I could not wear pants or belts as I kept getting restriction from flow into the pouch. With my job, I drive a lot and the seat belt was giving me problems. I purchased everything on the market and none of them met my expectations. So I decided to develop my own. I have been wearing what I hope is the final prototype for over a month now (I made a few revisions to my stoma guard) and it is awesome for allowing the flow in the pouch and negating seatbelt pressure.
The biggest thing I did not want was a belt that I had to wear daily to hold this stoma guard in place, so I designed it with no belt. It is very lightweight and comfortable to wear all day long. Yes, I want to share this product with all the people out there that are uncomfortable and struggling with flow issues. My biggest problem is the time to bring this to market with my hectic work schedule. I probably have to invest in a patent attorney so no one borrows my design, plus the expense to market this product. That is where things are at now. Take care and stay well. Penguins7
Past Member

I had a terrible time initially because I wasn't healing properly, but finally after using 2-piece appliances, I found the perfect one-piece which is a Hollister #8624! This is by far the best ever, and you can go for at least 3 full days or maybe longer! It is easy to put on and takes up less room when you put your pants on, which is a help (not a must by any means), and I wish I had tried this before. I got it as part of some samples and going through a few, I thought I would try it, and that is the end of my search! I know you will have good results with this!

I always will have to watch what I eat (if you overeat or have too many sweets, you will find no bag will keep up with this), but you can do fine with small meals, drink water, and I know I can have one glass of wine, but 2 causes leaks. Sometimes it is trial and error, but I am 100% satisfied with the Hollister product!

megalyman

There is a product called Medical Adhesive that comes in a spray or brush-on solution. Before changing your old wafer (base plate), you simply peel off the cover on the back of the wafer and spray or brush it on the wafer. I have used the two-piece system since 2007, and it has worked great. As far as keeping the bag snug, you can get a belt designed specifically to attach to the sides of the bag. I hope this helps.

Mrs.A

Well, this is a topic that has no end. To each their own is true, but do try every product available. Most, if not all, manufacturers are willing to send free samples. Cymed makes really nice pouches and I enjoyed their products, but found that in time I have become allergic to the glue. Hollister one-piece #88300 was my favorite for about five years and I still use what I have, but for me, by far, the Coloplast two-piece system is the best. I can replace the pouch without having to replace the flange. The flange lasts me 6-7 days in the winter months. I can also check on my stoma for any buildup that may settle there, which will eventually cause a leak. Filtered or unfiltered is also an issue. I plan on trying the unfiltered pouch next order due to the fact that the filter is the first thing to get clogged when I use M9 or any other in-bag deodorizer.

Casey & George

Did you know that Coloplast makes an extended wear barrier? It looks like the standard wear, but has a different adhesive so it's supposed to last longer. Check out this page
http://www.coloplast.us/SenSura-Flex-baseplate-en-us.aspx#section=product-variants_4

I use the click type but I've been using extended wear for a year now. You still might need paste or rings. I don't think it costs more than the regular plates. You might want to give it a try. There are also Brava elastic barrier strips you can put on the edge to give you a little more wear-time.

Opa Ray

I am using 2 PC Hollister and very satisfied with this product. Using it now for more than 3 years. When replacing the ostomy bag, I clean the whole area first with Baxter Sodium Chloride and do not have to change until 6 to 7 days later. No more leaks or accidents. This after having problems with another product that forced me to change every 3 to 4 days. Try it!
Opa Ray

Snookis Mum

I use the Coloplast Extended Wear one-piece, but the difference is that I wear a convex pouch. I was having problems with leakage for a while until I changed to the convex. Now I change my pouch every Monday, whether I need it or not. And mostly I don't. It is comfortable and secure.

foxwoods

I use the 2-piece Convatec convex, moldable wafer. I heat the wafer with a hair dryer.
Then, I apply the wafer and hold my hand firmly for about 2 minutes to make sure I get a good seal. I change my wafer every 7 days.

vikinga

Well, I need to update what I said about the Ivory soap. I saw a new WOCN last week, and he said that Ivory was the harshest. It's best not to use anything if possible. Just warm water and a soft wipe. He doesn't like to use anything under the wafer.
I must say to those of you who are getting 7 days wear time... I AM JEALOUS!...

catttters

I'm using the Salts two-piece model with the flexible flange that has tape as well. It is very comfortable and showerproof. I'm only a new patient who still has bad skin irritation, and I have used a water-based skin barrier, and it has helped. I'm up to my third day, and it is still very secure, and the skin still feels good. Salts products are definitely worth a try, and they send free samples.