Dealing with Colostomy and Urostomy: Frustrations and Resources?

Replies
Views
Amblessed_0402
Hi all,

This is my first post and a bit nervous.

I have a colostomy and urostomy because of cancer. I'm sure there are others like me and was wondering how frustrating it is dealing with them? I've noticed how products are made for one or the other, but not both. Like belts, underwear.. just to name a few. Are there any websites made for both? Any help or advice or just to talk about them would be great.
mild_mannered_super_hero

Hello blessed and welcome to the site, there are a few members here that have a double ostomy, and hopefully one will be along shortly to help you out. I am a cancer survivor myself for 15 years, so have faith, and be patient, you will master things and get your life back.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Amblessed_0402

Thank you

Ro
Hello,
Just wanted to check in with you as I will be going through the same thing for colon cancer. Have you learned anything new? I'm having what they call a complete pelvic exteneration.
Past Member

I think the output of each is why it's product-specific.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Irishgirl

I have had an ileostomy for 4 years and a urostomy for 1 year. I admit it's a challenge but it's doable. I use a 1-piece Hollister for the urostomy and a 2-piece Hollister for the ileostomy. I am lucky with my stoma placements as these 2 products just fit perfectly. It's most challenging when I am changing the pouches, it's a real race. Sleeping is a challenge as well as I have the night bag along with everything else.

Keep your spirit up, remember that it could always be worse. I don't allow my ostomy(s) to run my life. Life is far too precious for that.

DonBrown1943

Don't you just hate it when somebody says, "I knew someone who had a colostomy (or cancer, or any other illness), but she died." You have done well and you are a survivor. Welcome to the site and if any of us can help you, we will. Don