Recovering from Ileostomy Reversal: How Long Until Energy Returns?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Michspo

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I've posted. I had my ileostomy reversal six months ago. I don't have any energy. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get that back? I've been juicing every morning, thought that would help, but no such luck. Thanks in advance.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ewesful

I would love to hear any thoughts on the energy issue -- I did so incredibly well healing and going forward -- the kids gave me a trip to FL (first real vacation in many years) at the end of March. I had an incredible time with friends and enjoyed miles of beach walking, yummy meals etc. When I came back, I felt exhausted and basically slept for several days. I was so weak but did not lose weight- the Dr had a massive blood study done and the results were better than ever. I have a permanent ileostomy plus other organs of digestion are gone or partially gone so I am very careful..

I am finally back to feeling "human" a few hours a day - but not like I was or should be --

I had all of this last April-- maybe my body is finally reacting to its own loss!

Very frustrating!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
New to Maryland (DMV)

So sorry to hear of your situation but also comforting. I had my ileostomy moved for the 4th time in 7 years and this time has kicked my butt! I have lost 30 lbs since January and am the weight I was at when I graduated high school. I lost all appetite due to severe and constant nausea. I eat Zofran like Lifesavers but it does very little. I cannot do anything physical for any period of time. Walking 100 yards makes me feel like I ran the Boston Marathon.

Ewesful

I know exactly the feeling-- this came on so sudden for me and I am a little better today -- do think the food has a lot to do with it and I think the rate it processes the nutrients is highly dependent on the lower stomach and upper small intestine - of which I have neither -- Hang in there and if you find anything out let me know and I will do the same --

Have you had the blood levels checked? Some people become very anemic -- I take prescribed amounts of B12 and D3 as well as Centrum Energy to get the iron in a digestible form -- it has made huge differences in my health/energy overall..

scotiaman

Hi...just a thought but do you know your iron count...if you are only 6 months out from surgery and have not made it a priority in your diet to get your iron up, you very well may be anemic...check the internet for iron-rich foods..iron from food is generally taken up by the body more effectively than from pills..also the thyroid should be checked out!! All the best

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
New to Maryland (DMV)

Yup yup, done it all. B12, 3, I even am prescribed liquid iron because of the short bowel. I was so fatigued in 90 degree dry heat that I had to leave work early and go home to rest.