Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,918 members

Ulcerative colitis surgery (permanent or temp ileostomy?)

Posted by moonshine, on Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:28 pm

i had a subtotal colectomy in 2010 (had 80%) of my colon removed but was still connected to the small bowel. The internal stitches did not hold and I ended up in full blown septic shock and ended up with an illeostomy with hopes of a reversal. I have scleroderma (crest) and gi problems exist and will exist as this is a progressive autoimmune illness. After i was told i was not a great canidate for reversal i sort of felt releived and learned to deal with the bag.....i bling it out to be as girly as possible. I was also told a reversal might lead me to other digestion and elimination issues.

i am gladi kept the bag

Reply by sovington, on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:00 pm

Please look into a BCIR that is a Barnett Continent intestinal reservoir it is the best operation you can get. If you have questions MN essay me at

Reply by Penguins7, on Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:53 pm

I am curious about the BCIR as i have inquired about it.  They said with me having Crohns i wuld have to go at least 3 years without any flare ups which i have.  Please tell me more as i would welcome the opportunity to shed this bag.  Thanks.  Penguins7

Reply by Ostomytalk, on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:49 pm
I've has the j pouch made in me and reversal done and I wish I never did get it caused me a lot of grief and extra down time. The only advice I can give if you do get the j pouch made is take it supper slow and allow it to fully heal before going back to full diet and maybe explore a more easily overall digest able diet.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.