Wafer Leaking Issues: Need Help!

Replies
Views
Bigboi

So I've been with a colostomy coming up on 2 years in August, and I've lost over 80lbs since I began using Convatec wafer 411804 and bag 401503. They have usually lasted me 4-5 days.

But they are now only lasting me 12-16 hours and then leaking out of the side. This is very frustrating... I cannot say my job is the problem because I've worked since February with my colostomy and never had an issue until now. I do not use adhesive remover as it absorbs into my skin and makes wafers fall off. I completely clean around the stoma until all of the old wafer's adhesive is totally gone. I then figured it may have been that I didn't press onto it enough after putting it on, but that's not the issue either as this last wafer I pressed on it for a good 10-15 minutes. The only other thing I can come up with is that this box of wafers is either defective/damaged or expired? (Is that possible?)

Convatec says it could be that I've lost a lot of weight, but I had initially lost about 65lbs before starting my job, and they're now not wanting to stick to me.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Hey Mike, it's summer and hot where you are, so your wear time might be expected to decrease slightly. However, I agree, something must be wrong to be changing every day.

How is the skin underneath your barrier? If it's irritated, that will cause a problem with your barrier sticking correctly. Some folks use the antacid "Mylanta" to help the skin heal.

1: Wash the skin with a soap that doesn't contain oils or perfume. I use yellow Dial.

2: Apply the Mylanta directly to your skin. Use a q-tip or even your fingers. Let it dry.

3: Apply your normal "skin prep", either wipe on or spray. Let that dry.

4: If you use the Eakin seal, these alone will double your wear time. Put it on the skin directly.

5: Apply your flange. Convex works best for me. Be sure to line everything up straight.

6: I would suggest you use an "ostomy belt". Convatec brand is the best to hold everything in place.

Tip: If possible, change everything right before you go to bed. That will give it overnight to "stick" when you are not bending or moving around.

I would remind you that if you lack any of these things, most ostomy companies will supply a few free samples to get you started. Good luck, keep us updated on how things progress.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WAB

Hi Mike.

Sorry you are having problems... I was in the South USA the last 2 years and never had any problems with the heat and humidity. Some tips...

Area has to be completely clean and dry... I use a hair dryer which sets the flange. I also use a tape around the flange... which they sell on the internet called Hypaflex. I have been using it around the flange for 14 years. It is available everywhere and you can cut it to the size you want. It works and does not hurt when pulled off the skin. Amazing tape... is my backup... lol...

One question... do you irrigate? Amazing way to set you free if you can...

Irrigation depends on what type of stoma you have. You should check if you are a candidate for irrigation, as this will set you free from passing stool. Check with your ostomy nurse...

I had problems also before irrigation... as... though not a great subject... your stool is hot... so the area around the stoma will be hot also. I had problems with leaks and the flange not holding before irrigation technique. Check this out, as irrigation will set you free if you are able to do it...

If not, Coloplast has a new flange out. I tried it and the glue is much stronger than what is used on Hollister, and the flange molds to the body area. Check for a sample. There is a huge ostomy supply store in Margate, Florida. They have a website and I used them for supplies while in Florida...

I am sure if you talk to them, they will send you free samples to try...

Also, you did not mention if you are using a 2-piece or one-piece system. 2-piece is much easier...

Coloplast also makes the irrigation kit...

Good luck. I am sure there is a solution to your problem.

Xerxes

As someone else states, try using a hair dryer before applying the wafer. I find this to be very effective. Also, you might try the Durahesive wafer by Convatec as part of the two-piece system. You are able to expand the stoma opening a little if need be to accommodate your stoma which, on occasion, can change its size ever so slightly.

marisa.s

Have you measured your stoma lately? Weight loss may have resulted in a change in size - so you may need to resize your wafer opening.

Has the shape of your belly changed - the contours sometimes affect the wafer's ability to adhere to the skin.

You may want to try an Eakin seal or similar product to help the wafer adhere and to contour to your belly.

Good luck, Marisa

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Pinky
Hi Bigboi - all good suggestions from the folks on this site. If this just started happening, maybe you are right in thinking the wafers themselves are the problem (although I've never heard of Convatec having faulty products). Do you have another box of wafers to try?

I use Witch Hazel with every wafer change, 1) to soothe itchy skin and 2) it is astringent so it is a bit drying. I also use the hair dryer (on the lowest, coolest setting) for each layer of product: after skin prep, after Eakins seal and after applying the wafer.

Lastly, have you made a major change in your diet very recently? Too much fiber or fillers in commercially prepared flour products like cake and pancakes can overload the system and ooze out the sides (gross; it's happened to me with McDonald's pancakes and Costco cake).
cwright731

So here is the thing. If you lost weight, but have loose skin, your wafer is going to come loose faster. Skin folds can cause more sweating as well as more bending of the wafer.

If your job requires you to do a lot of twisting and turning at the site of the ostomy, you might want to consider wearing an ostomy belt to hold the wafer in place when doing such physical activities. Ostomy belts are great for security as well. When you're not able to change the ostomy right away, it can hold it in place and may even reconnect the skin and adhesion.

Has your stoma changed from being out to being flesh level? If that is the case, you may have to get a convex wafer. Also, if you've had it for a couple of years now, your stoma size may be smaller and you may need a smaller cut.

Your skin may have even changed. Maybe it is more oily. Are you using adhesive wipes to help with the seal? Are you using enough paste or have you changed the brand? Try using a stronger adhesive. I use Hollister's adhesive spray because I had similar problems. Spray it around the wafer and let it dry. It is really nice and sticky and it will increase the wear time.

Hope that helps!

Homie With A Stomie NS

Morning Big....have you tried heating the wafer with a hair dryer before placing it on the belly? Apparently, heat loosens the adhesive, giving it a better seal. Or, you can heat it with a hair dryer after you have placed it - not hot, just warm all around. Alternatively, you can try adhesive strips around the wafer - 2/2 on the skin, 1/2 on the wafer. If you don't have strips, try using 3M medical or foam and medical tape.....