Successful Reversal for Rectal Stump at 74?

Replies
Views
jenkins124

Has anyone with just a stump for a rectum had a successful reversal? I am 74 years old and my Dr. said he could do it now. He will not do it after I am 75.

Hope to get some answers.

Thanks, Joyce

Primeboy

Hi Joyce. I lived with a reversal for 6 years and had to have the pouch and more colon removed because of precancerous cells. I eventually declined a second reversal even though they installed the necessary plumbing because my GI advised me I would be running a lot and that my sphincter would not be reliable. Not my cup of tea. Like you, I enjoy travel and golf; but these activities would be far from fun if you're a "frequent flyer." My best advice is for you to continue enjoying the great lifestyle you have now and don't screw it up with risky surgery. On another note, I wonder why your MD has a cut-off point at 75. I remember there was a time when reversals were not advisable for patients over 60. Has Medicare started to impose age restrictions on certain procedures? Good luck with whatever you decide.

PB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,444 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Zywie

Hello Joyce,

I have to agree with PB. You've been living with it this long and seem to be enjoying your life, why take the chance of complications or a long recovery or worse? It's taken me too long to recover from getting the stoma. My behind has not healed, and I checked with my surgeon about having surgery for that; he told me it would be just as bad if not worse recovery than when I had this stoma. Even if reversal was an option for me, I wouldn't take it. I've heard too many bad outcomes or, even if the surgery went well, after-effects were worse to live with. It's your life and your choice, but I wouldn't take the chance. Not unless I was guaranteed 100% there would be no problems afterwards and the surgery and recovery time were a piece of cake - which they couldn't do.

Happy life either way!

Past Member

Hey ostomates,

Well, in my case, they had to remove everything but the stump due to severe UC. Good news is that you can still have the reversal if you only have the stump left. The surgeon will only do mine through 2 more surgeries.

I personally don't care about the consequences. However, I have been warned by the surgeon team that the first op is going to be awful, more involving, much more delicate, more painful, and harder to recover from than the first op.

The recovery is what's worrying me the most. I recovered from the first op on my own and that was really horrible (physically and mentally).

I lost count of how many times I went to the operating room. So, I will literally risk everything to have the reversal done.

For me, it is (LIVE AS WHAT YOU WANT TO BE, OR DIE TRYING).

Sad news is the reversal could not work sooner or later due to it being infected again by UC, which is medically defined as POUCHITIS. The sustainability of the reversal is also not long (I think 10-15 years) -- please correct me guys if I am wrong. They also said that I may have to go back to the bag eventually.

Good luck with your decision.

lorraine-cooper1960

Hi to everyone who knows me, just quickly jumping in. From a medical perspective, I don't think it's a good idea. The difference between age 74 and 75 is so negligible. The doctor is an idiot. Excuse me, I'm blunt because I don't have the energy to beat about the bushels. You would put yourself through major surgery and recovery, plus very possible complications due to your age and ability to recover. It's the most daft idea I've heard in ages. I think he must be desperate for a larger income!

On a personal level, be yourself, be happy, know your limitations and abilities, and please enjoy every single moment of your beautiful, wonderful life. It's too precious to waste with unnecessary surgery. With love xx

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Pinky

Like others have mentioned, when I had a reversal for 5 years things went OK for a year or 2, then it was all downhill from there. I always had to watch what I ate, and had significant enough pain issues that I actually had to get on long-acting morphine and still was only able to go to school, not work, for 2 days a week. I spent a lot of time in bed recuperating anytime I traveled. Finally, after 5 years, I was so ill I asked my surgeon for a new colostomy. I had it (descending colostomy) in February 2009 and by June started irrigating it which to me made an enormous difference over the previous colostomy which was transverse and couldn't be irrigated.

My policy is to never discourage anyone from trying a reversal - just to be prepared for a certain change in your quality of life - and it may not be good. Pinky :)

Cecille

I am upset to hear of so many negative reversal experiences.

Has anyone got a better story?

lorraine-cooper1960

Hi Cecille, please don't be put off by negative remarks. I obviously answered the person concerned taking into consideration the risk/benefit of having a major operation plus recovery for an older person. This doesn't mean I would give the same answer to another person. I have been trained to quickly take the information provided, make an assessment, and then take the necessary action. Obviously on a website, this is very difficult because I don't have full medical disclosure, so I have to be careful when I answer. My reason for saying no for this person is that they obviously have managed well for a period of time, the surgery will put unnecessary strain on this person's body, and he/she probably has other medical conditions relating to age (everyone does, my love, after 50) and I would hate for her to go through trauma for no benefit.

My advice to a younger fit person would be different, I would say make a list of questions for the doctor. Look at all the pros and cons, ask about complications and how often they occur, and then look at your health then decide. Before any elective surgery, it is important to have a healthy mind, a good positive attitude, do your homework, and take supplements or whatever you could to make sure you were in the best possible position before surgery.

I have seen and heard of many successful reversals. Remember message boards are just opinions not taking the place of a trained medical professional's advice, particularly one who knows your history.

My most sincere best wishes and thoughts are with you xx Lorraine.

Cecille

Dear Lorraine

It's very kind of you to write such a supportive and helpful email.

You have cheered me up!

Best wishes,

Cecille

(Lived in Australia for 2 years in the late 1960s and loved it there. Have

been back for visits.)