Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,283 members

Blood in Bag

Posted by hawk, on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:28 pm

About once a week when I change the bag, blood will start to spurt out. I took paper towel and applied with pressure to the stoma. This happened several months ago so I went to the emergency room and was told I could have ruptured a capalary while applying the bag. But this time I could not stop it for about an hour and I was livid not to go back to the hospital, has anyone had this problem?

Reply by Diceman, on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:30 pm

Some times when I change my flange and bag I bleed some at the bottom just a little , it runs like hell but it does stop. I took a  photo of it and showed the nurse. She told me that it has to be cotrized by a doctor. 

Reply by Primeboy, on Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:03 am
Diceman wrote:

Some times when I change my flange and bag I bleed some at the bottom just a little , it runs like hell but it does stop. I took a  photo of it and showed the nurse. She told me that it has to be cotrized by a doctor. 

Hey Dice. I sprinkle Stomahesive Protective Powder around the base of the stoma before reapplying a new flange. This powder seems to plug up the light bleeding and allow the flange to stick better. It works best with a very light flow of blood, not with heavy bleeding. Good luck!

PB

Reply by hawk, on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:47 pm

Thanks for the input, I still have the problem and it terrifies me the extent of blood I see. Wish me the best because I am so tired. Hawk

Reply by Mrs.A, on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:57 pm

Hawk,

If you are still having this issue I think it is about time you go to the doctors!!!!!

Reply by LadyHope, on Fri May 15, 2015 11:02 am

Hi Hawk,  I have a little blood sometimes when I change the whole system.  Once, blood was trickling out of my stoma...I think I nicked it putting on the flange.  I have to cut all of my wafer b/c my stoma is an odd shape.  And because the edges are sometime rough, my stoma gets rubbed and bleeds.  I do what PB suggested, a little stoma powder and things seem to be okay.  I do not apply pressure b/c it only makes my stoma bleed more.  Good luck Hawk.  Hope this helps.  LH

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.