Ileostomy complications: Weird sensations and prolonged bloating after reversal

Replies
Views
Atom009

Hi there! First of all, thank you for taking your time out and reading my post. I had an emergency operation of tubercular intestinal obstruction and 3 feet of my small intestine was resected and ileostomy was created. One night, I felt something weird (like a shock) near my stoma, something like my intestine is pulling inside and whenever this happens, gas came out. I discussed with many doctors and all responded as normal, and I was convinced that my intestine was stitched in my abdomen, so when my intestine moves, I felt it in my abdomen. But after having reversal, I still felt the weird sensation in my abdomen. I am still looking for an answer if anyone ever had this weird/shock/sensation. Please do let me know. Also, one more thing, how long does this bloating last? I had my reversal on Jan 28, 2016, and I am still bloating a lot and it seems like I am 3-5 months pregnant.

Bill

Hello Atom009.

Thanks for posting. I haven't had this problem but I'm sure that someone else posted something similar a while back. Hopefully they will see this and reply giving you some advice on the subject.

There is the option of trawling back through posts to see if you could find it. Sometimes these things are listed in 'forum topics' but I cannot remember whether I saw it in a forum or a blog.

Best wishes Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,372 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Atom009

Thank you, Bill.

Atom009

Thank you, Bill.

Ewesful

I have a permanent ileostomy but the shock feeling and pulling are where the intestine is now caught on your other organ or skin -- sometimes they can get really bad - other times actually pull free but they are adhesions --- if they are really bad they will need surgical intervention. There is a wrap now that prevents them but it is not known to a lot of the doctors and you have to request it whether they know of it or not.

As for the bloating -- you have to work the gas free -- it has to move on through the colon. Are you able to do any exercises yet? Walking helps. My father had quite a number of issues with both of the conditions you have ....with the bag I don't because you just burp the bag! Good luck -

I do know that sodas and fizzy foods are bad news for you, also chewing gum etc....anything that brings air into the system...

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
LadyHope

Hi Aton, thank you for your post. I may consult my doctor once again and ask for an X-ray or an MRI to evaluate the situation. Maybe there is something to the bloating you are experiencing. I would research possible solutions and request a second opinion or speak with another doctor. Feeling 5 months pregnant would be a concern to me. Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress. LH

StukNthisNOTbyChoice

I almost don't want to answer your question for fear that my answer will alter your hope, but in my own personal experience, the bloating and gas never went away and actually continued to progress worse.

StukNthisNOTbyChoice

I almost don't want to answer your question for fear that my answer will alter your hope, but in my own personal experience, the bloating and gas never went away and actually continued to progress worse.

Atom009

Thank you for your time.