Turmeric Powder: Soothes Skin Irritation & Inflammation

In this discussion
Replies
Views
houstonstomaguy1952

I tried the turmeric powder from one of the capsules I usually swallow with my dinner, placing it directly over the raw, irritated skin
around the stoma; it seemed to calm down the burning itching; I was surprised since this is a potent spice, so the info I read
was correct about its use as an anti-inflammatory on skin, not just as an internal supplement....also beneficial since it is
anti-bacterial/anti-viral....so that's also a plus when applying it to irritated skin surfaces; then I applied the usual skin protection
powder over it before placing the Eakin Seal Wafer Faceplate over the whole stoma area. as usual.

I also rubbed some over the bottom of my feet/ankle that had flea or bedbug bites, and it seemed to soothe and stop the itching
immediately..this is great stuff, even if it does leave an orange tint!
It's also a good antioxidant for the liver, heart, blood circulation, and body as a whole when taken internally in capsule form, or added to food as a spice. (Very economically priced as well, no prescription needed, either)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Thanks for this information. I have been taking the capsules and recently bought some organic Turmeric in the spice form as well. I'm searching the internet to find ways to incorporate it into some of my recipes. It's great to know that it can be used for skin irritation as well.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
VeganMidiMan

Thank you for this info, the itching and burning around the stoma is KILLING ME and absolutely nothing has worked since I started this adventure over 6 months ago

Past Member

Interesting article. Make a smoothie with turmeric every morning. Does it keep the Eakin seal around the stoma from sticking? Thanks.

Past Member

Have you tried Tincture of Benzoin? It soothes sore skin under your wafer and helps the wafer to stick. Stings a bit on application but works wonders...

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
violet-hummingbird

Is it thrush? A change of fire wand addition of probiotics might help. Local antifungal cream... or a course of fluconazole orally might improve things. If it isn't thrush, then it must be local irritation from contents with liquid waste or allergy to stoma products. A barrier such as Cavilon spray might help.

GraphX12

Houstonstomaguy1952: Does the Turmeric powder reduce the wafer's ability to stick to skin?