Colostomy Recovery: When Does it Get Better?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the recovery process after colostomy surgery and provides support and advice for those seeking information on when to expect improvements.
Breezy59oscer

3 weeks since surgery. I have a hard time dealing with it. When does it get better?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

kbd

It is a lot to take in at first. But before long, everything will be a habit and you will not think about it all the time like you do at first. It is a shock and an adjustment, but it really does get better.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Cleosnile

I just had my surgery on the 13th. I know it's not easy but my ostomy mentor tells me that it will get better, and I believe her. I hope that you will get strong and look at the rest of your life as a new beginning....

Cleo

Hippieonmission

Hi everyone, I'm I joined a few months ago. From TX and a while back in 2011, I moved to Colorado for a female and mountains and the medical marijuana. Just after getting up there, I found out I had rectal cancer. I did the chemo and radiation, and radiation did a job on my body inside. Well, I moved back to TX and all the crap I went through up there in Colorado came back to TX with a urostomy and colostomy. I have an ulcer that won't close between my buttocks, and I'm needing to do a hyperbaric bed chamber. Also, my car is old, 22 years, so I'm having a really hard time with the urostomy accepting it, even though I've had it since May 2014. And to top all this off, radiation melted my penis to my groin, so no erections. I was told if I got an erection, it would hurt like hell. So depressed, I am really bad. Anyone any suggestions please?

Irjosh

I'm going on three months now and am doing OK. I realized soon that I'm now a recovering alcoholic. Surgery saved my life in more than one way. I got my bag situation down. I've been thinking about the irrigation thing. Anyhow, I'm here for help and ideas like you all. Wish I had the answers.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Freebyrd

Hey Breezy, I think it gets easier. I had my ostomy on February 28th. It took about a month for me to start getting accustomed to it. For me, it became a natural thing and part of life. Of course, while getting used to this new life, there was a lot of mental adjustments for me. I went through some trips about it. After a while, it is just how it is, and I have accepted it; I do what I have to do.

Once I got accustomed to my new reality, it was not bad, just different.

Bettyjoe

Yes, I am new on this site. I had surgery to remove my colon and I have an ostomy for about 8 weeks. It has not been easy. Several infections and my left kidney slightly punctured during surgery. Scheduled for minor surgery soon to have the stint removed. My pouch, I have difficulties with the acceptance piece. Otherwise, pushing forward. It feels good to be on this site. To anyone that is having a hard time, hold on.

Mrs.A

It takes time, and there isn't a set time. We are all different but we can help make it get better by the way we deal with the issues that happen, or just acceptance of our ostomy. Many have had a most difficult road to recovery and some not as bad, but at the end of the day it is us as individuals that have to see ourselves for who we are not what our bodies are or have become. We are here to support each other and lift each other's spirits, it does get better, but we have to look to the bright side and even do some of the "work" needed to get to the bright side. Find your strength, it's there inside you, reach for it and keep reaching you'll catch hold and pull yourself up. Chin up, one step at a time, be happy with each accomplishment you achieve and keep going till you get where you barely remember how difficult it was to get there. You are never alone.

Bettyjoe

I really appreciate the sincerity that is exposed on this site. I appreciate and respect honesty. Acceptance is the key. I am on the path to healing. There is a loss but at the same time, there is much to be gained.

Hermit

Yes, it takes time to heal. Walk every day.

Hermit

It takes time to heal. Slow process.