Managing Ostomy in Hot Weather: Tips for Heat and Rash

Replies
Views
Lady12345127

I live in AZ and was wondering what to do about the heat and rash from sweating?

NJ Bain

Lady12345127,

Um... stay inside with the AC on blast?... lol... Just kidding.

I would say it depends on if you work outside or engage in outdoor activities all the time and how much a person sweats. There are several posts on this site on this subject.

A lot of us use a thin layer of deodorant around the wafer of the pouch which helps out greatly. Others also use pouch covers made of cloth which soak up excess sweat. I've only had an issue with it when I went too long between changing my pouch.

I used to work outdoors in 90+ degree weather and I recall 2 times when the top of the wafer seal failed because I was drenched in sweat and had gone too long between changing the pouch. It wasn't a big deal since at that time, I used a Velcro back brace that kept the pouch in place. I didn't notice the pouch had failed until I took off the brace but it kept everything contained. I would also try to time my eating to output and kept the pouch as empty as possible if the weather was going to be blistering hot.

Now, I only sweat from working out and it's usually not an issue. Hope this helps.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,440 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

paulaAZ

Lady12345127 ... I also live in Arizona. I use Sure Seal Rings around my wafer. They are great for swimming, working out, etc. Depending on how often you change your wafer, I have some other suggestions if you change often or changing often using the Sure Seal Rings. Just let me know. As far as the rash ... I have found that Lotrimin foot powder (yes, that is correct, Lotrimin foot powder) is great for any rash that may be yeast or fungal based. I have tried generic brands but the name brand of Lotrimin does the trick. I actually apply it, then crust and then use a little bit of stoma powder and crust that; however, I have just used the Lotrimin and it was fine.

Paula

Teri

I was wondering about that too. I just had my ileo on 11/30/16 so I have yet to see a summer with it. I live in Texas, north of Austin, and it gets unbearable here with the heat and humidity.

I was also wondering about sodium and electrolyte levels. I sweat terribly on my head and a little under my breasts. But the head sweats make it look as though I've just gotten out of the pool, that's how wet my hair is. When I'm outside, I have to wear a bandanna to keep the sweat from my eyes. Luckily for me, I don't go out much in the summer as I don't work. I make and sell paintings, and am now expanding into jewelry. But I do go out.

Do I need to be concerned about my levels?

paulaAZ

Hi Teri ... you have an issue there in Texas that I do not have here in Arizona, and that is humidity. I have had my ileo about a year longer than you have had yours (11/10/15 is my stomaversary LOL). You do have to be very aware of your electrolyte and sodium balance, and potassium.

I personally drink Powerade Zero, that helps keep the sugar intake low. I drink that all year round, but admit I do not do it as methodically in the winter (or at least what we call winter here in the Valley of the Sun). If you sweat a lot you are sweating out electrolytes, sodium and potassium and will definitely need to replace them.

So Powerade it up, lady :) ; Also be sure to hydrate very well because you do not have a colon any longer that is absorbing liquids into your body to hydrate it. You will know if your levels are getting low by the way you feel. And I think we all know that if you stop sweating you are dehydrated or getting there pretty darned fast.

So yes, load up on electrolytes through sports drinks, eat potassium-filled foods and hydrate until you cannot hydrate any more!

I am fortunate in that I am retired and if I have to get out I tend to make it earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon, but not in the hottest part of the day. I do not have the perspiration issue that you do, but it sounds like you can keep it under control!

Paula

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
caligirl4ever

I read on another site where someone suggested using a cloth baby bib! I love them and I find all cotton ones at the dollar store, etc. They are just enough to keep bag off of my skin and easy to have handy, then throw in the wash.

Good luck!

GraphX12

I don't have problems with the bag itself in the heat and humidity. Sweat under the adhesive of the wafer causes me skin irritation and blistering. The only thing I've found that helps heal the blisters is a dab of Neosporin covered with a band aid under the wafer.

GraphX12

Hi Paula, do you ever use Lotrimin on large areas of rash? If so, how do you make the wafer stick? I have found that even very small applications of stoma powder prevents my wafer from adhering well to that area.