Dealing with Post-Surgery Challenges: Seeking Advice on Ostomy Issues

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic provides advice and solutions for dealing with challenges related to ostomy issues after surgery.
drfields24

Hello, it's me again... I hope and pray everyone is well. I have a family member, my father to be exact, that really doesn't understand the highs and lows of day-to-day function. I went to a barbecue on the Fourth of July and had an accident. I was discreet about it... My family had another barbecue today and I chose not to go. It's at a park with bathrooms close by. My father thinks I'm making it more than what it is. The backing of my two-piece did not stick, so I had to clean up in the car. How do I get him to understand, or will he ever understand? I don't always feel my best. I thought after the surgery I was going to feel a lot better, but I don't always. I still deal with bad constipation and now, since the surgery, I can feel it even more if I don't empty every day. I saw the doctor on Thursday, so now I take 400 twice a day. Do any of you still deal with the same issues after surgery?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

drfields24

With no bathroom close by. 400 mg of stool softener twice a day.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello drfields24. 

It sounds as if you have enough to deal with, without worrying about what your father thinks. If you read enough of the posts on this site you will come to realise that most people who have not experienced the problems of stamas first-hand, don't have a clue as to the sorts of things you have to put up with and manage. When confronted with the problems of the stoma and of the unintended, ill informed  ignorance  of other people, we need to make decisions that suit us, rather than try to cater for the presumptions and assumptions of onlookers. 

Best wishes

Bill

drfields24

I spoke to my doctor about irrigation..... I'm getting ready to start school full time soon and he feels it would be more trouble than it's worth. He said to see how rigorous my schedule would be like because he says I may not be able to irrigate when I need to which would cause even more problems. Anybody in school full time?

Bill

Hello drfields24. 

When I first started to irrigate, I calculated that I was spending more time dealing with my stoma (in small sections of time during the day) than when I allocated the hour or so at the end of the day to irrigate. The convenience of irrigation allows me to work (more than full-time) without having to worry about output at all.

I hope thids helps in your decision making.

Best wishes

Bill 

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Newbie Dana

I don't know about irrigation, as I don't do it, but I do carry a small pouch with everything I need for any kind of emergency, from pouches and disposal bags to everything I need to change a faceplate - including template, marker, and scissors, some wet wipes in a zip-lock bag, and even band-aids (those scissors are sharp). If no bathroom available, some handy bushes will suffice. Having raised two kids, and dealing with innumerable nieces and nephews, I know about having to deal with accidents. This is really just another accident to deal with matter-of-factly, and don't let it get you down or slow you down.

Being in class and an irregular schedule may make you think about irrigation, but I would wait until you had a break from classes to start, because I understand it may take a bit of time for your body to get accustomed to it, and you want to be able to control your life while you are getting that under control.

Good luck!