J-Pouch Two-Step Procedure Success?

Replies
Views
HungryHamster

I'm having my J pouch surgery in two days, and my surgeon has explained that it will hopefully be a successful second and final step procedure. Because my colectomy was such an emergency, he didn't form the J pouch then, and so he is going to hopefully form one in this surgery and connect it up all in one go. I've been reading on the internet (which I shouldn't), and it doesn't seem that anyone has it done this way. Everyone seems to have the J pouch formed in the first step and connected in the second.

I've been getting nervous because I need this surgery to work. If it doesn't, it will throw out another semester of uni, and I also desperately want to be rid of the ileostomy and my seemingly unique two-bag situation with an unexpected mucous fistula. My surgeon seems to brush over some details, so I would like to know how successful your J pouch has been.

Thanks,

Hamish

paigebuddy2343

Hi Hamish,

I got my ileostomy reversal for my J pouch connection this past Tuesday, November 14, 2017. I won't lie, it seems this second surgery should be less painful because it seems to be more simple, but in my opinion, it hurts significantly more than the first surgery. However, I am already seeing improvements! I know, even though it has only been a week, that this surgery and decision for a J pouch was a success. *Fingers crossed*

At one week, I can go to the bathroom at will without burning or urgency. I've only had a little leakage, and for that, I have some adult diapers just in case. Honestly, the most challenging part of this surgery for me, aside from the pain from the incision, is taking care of the open incision wound where my ileostomy used to be. Hamish, I'll be thinking of you as you go into surgery. I know we hear a lot of horror stories, but I do believe there are many successful J pouchers out there, and maybe we don't hear from them as often because their successful stories have led them to lead lives that are full and busy with other things. All the best to you!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.