Hysterectomy with Colostomy: Experiencing Pain and Seeking Advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Simplicity

I have a permanent colostomy for about 10 years. I had it done because of colorectal cancer. Recently, I had a hysterectomy and the doctor removed both ovaries, uterus, cervix, and Fallopian tubes because of heavy bleeding and huge fibroids. I'm still experiencing pain in my lower abdomen and near the incision. Has anybody had to have a hysterectomy with a colostomy?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,108 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Simplicity.

Thanks for sharing your concerns.

My wife was suffering from pain for a year or so after having a hysterectomy. It is a major operation and often takes a long time to heal both physically and mentally. The fact that you have a colostomy will probably have little impact on the other surgery, which will likely have much more impact on your general wellbeing. My wife gradually healed and lives a full and active life so you have that to look forward to.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Simplicity

Thanks, Bill. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond! I will take your advice and try to look forward to that full recovery and no more pain!!

Simplicity

ladyjane

I had a complete hysterectomy because of a fibroid tumor that was about the size of a cantaloupe and was found to have colon cancer cells in it this past May. So I had an ileocolostomy also. They took out 2/3 of the colon, and gave me 2 stomas. I now have 2 parastomal hernias and a huge prolapse which is very difficult to manage and very stressful. I had some pain by the stitches, but not too bad. I have had more problems with my stomas than problems from the hysterectomy. I was found to have stage 4 metastatic left and right side colon cancer. I have lower back pain and abdominal cramps. I asked a nurse if she has observed what kind of pain people complain of with colon cancer. She told me sometimes they complain of lower back pain. I don't know if my back pain is from that or from being in bed/sitting all of the time. Before the surgery, I had lower back pain. Hope you are feeling better. We have had similar surgeries so if you ever need to talk I am here.

Simplicity

Thanks for the opportunity and the offer to talk and share! I'm feeling a little better today and hopeful that I will keep improving. I had my total abdominal hysterectomy on 12th October 2017 and I was feeling so alone and depressed about having to do another major surgery. I didn't know what to expect and my gynecologist/surgeon said he had no experience with patients with a colostomy. So I was extremely glad when I found this site and could talk to persons with ostomies.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and I will remember you in my prayers.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ladyjane

I was so relieved to find this site also! Only fellow osteomates can understand everything we have to deal with!