Colostomy Reversal - Healing Process and Experiences?

Replies
Views
mikkiroxx

Hi, I was reading your post. I was wondering what you meant by learning to use the pot all over again. I have an ileostomy and I can't wait for my reversal. I had 8 inches of colon removed. I was told I would use the toilet a lot. It just scares me and I'm not sure what to think of this. Like, will I have the poops all day and night? Will I be able to control my bowels? Will I poop my pants at work? I want a reversal but also want to have control of my poop! What's your thoughts?

mikkiroxx

Hi Katy, I had 8 inches of colon removed. I have had several bad episodes of diverticulitis, I finally had the surgery. After 15 years of being afraid, I was in total panic up until the second I went under in the operation room. I woke up to 30 staples and an ileostomy. My surgeon says 3 months for a reversal, I'm having a barium enema prior to see if things are okay for reversal. I want this reversal so bad. Dealing with this bag has been so hard for me. I hear so many terrible stories of people living on the toilet after reversal and things gone wrong. My surgeon says I won't be regular for maybe 3 years after reversal!! Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Jenerprise

It has been about four months since my reversal. I had about 5-6 inches of my sigmoid removed, along with a portion of my jejunum. I had a colostomy for about 5 months.

I woke up in not a ton of pain after the reversal- I also had a stomal hernia repair as well at the same time. I started pooping after about 24 hours of surgery. I need to take about a teaspoon of milk of magnesia every night or else I get constipated.

I have had no issues outside of that. I have not had an occasion where I pooped my pants or couldn't hold it. Nothing like that. I poop once a day usually, sometimes twice.

I am very happy I had my reversal!

Jen

Angelicamarie

Jen, I'm glad everything went well. I'm sure you are glad you had it done, hope your healing process isn't too bad. Best wishes!! Angel

mikkiroxx

Thanks for the info. I am excited about my upcoming reversal. Just don't know what to expect or how often I will be running to the toilet. I just want this bag off and my life to go back to normal so to speak :)

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Jenerprise

I get it...

I feel - never normal but always special and blessed for what we have been through and go through. Very strong

latina63

I have been reversed for 5 years now, at times I do wish I had the bag back. I think it all depends on how low your connection was, how much colon/rectum they removed. Mine was very low and I lost a lot of my rectum, so I still have a lot of problems: rectal nerve pain, cluster bowel movements, chronic constipation.... It's very hard sometimes, just hoping that it will continue to get better. It definitely is a new normal.