Bathing Suit Hack: Athletic Shorts as a Stylish Alternative

Replies
Views
theluckyfrog

Hi all,

So I'm a youngish female, and I wanted to figure out a way to wear a two-piece bathing outfit to the beach and the pool and whatnot, but I wasn't super impressed by tankini options because they tended to show a strip of stomach in exactly the wrong place as well as not come far enough down my leg. I just wanted to share what I eventually hit on doing, because it's worked really well for me and it might not have occurred to everyone. (Or maybe it has. I'm a little out of the ostomy loop since I've been fully in remission.)

Basically, I went to a local sporting goods store and looked at athletic shorts and skorts until I found some that were quick-drying, well-fitting (up to the waist and not super tight in leg) and that didn't have a super basketball or other specific sporty look. The ones I ended up buying are basically the same material as a swimsuit and, upon testing, function just the same in water. After I found a few pairs, I just went to a store like Target and matched 'em to bikini tops. It essentially looks like I'm wearing board shorts, but I found many fewer options when I actually shopped for board shorts. I get to show skin (hey, I work out) and not worry about my ostomy being conspicuous or being hazardous to my activities.

Just thought I'd put this out there as an idea to explore for other women who are having a hard time figuring out bathing suits. Or, if you do something completely different, I'd love to hear about that!

Best,

Natalie

Bill

Hello Natalie.

Thanks for your post. It's good to heart that people like yourself find solutions to these sorts of problems and then share with others so that they might benefit. 

Personally, I tend to go to the charity shops to get clothing that is near enough and then alter it to suit my own needs. But then I love to tinker with the sewing machine to see what can be created to fit the 'bill'. 

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Newbie Dana

Sounds interesting! I am definitely not a youngish lady, and went with a much looser version of a tankini - it almost looks like a bikini top with a flowing skirt attached to the bottom. I had to hunt for a long time to find one that was long enough to cover the ostomy pouch, but since I wear the 7" mini sealed (disposable, not the kind you empty and reseal) pouch, it's easier to cover than some. I considered the OstomySecrets band to keep the pouch contained and hidden, but concluded I didn't really need it as I am not a super-athlete swimmer, just play around in the pool! I wear the bikini bottom below the appliance, and the tankini top covers the appliance/pouch, so I feel I'm good to go.

sunasea

Hi, I'm 54, but a great boogie boarder and marathon runner. I have had my ostomy for 7 years now. I have always worn board shorts before there were board shorts. I am curious as I have to wear either a rash guard or wetsuit top at the beach. I'm jealous lol that you get to show some skin. I love getting a tan but have to wear a shirt to cover my wafer and pouch. So as you ask me for advice, I turn to you for advice.

Sincerely, Tom :)

Immarsh

Hi all, I never had the figure for a two-piece, much less a bikini, and I've had my ileostomy since I was 15. Back then, bathing suit material was somewhat "thicker" which suited me well. For the last 20+ years, it's been a struggle to find a one-piece that was supportive on top (I'm well endowed) as well as around the belly to support my tummy and the pouch. The tummy control suits (with the extra band of stretch fabric) worked well, but they are less and less popular, giving way to the tankini, which doesn't work for me at all. I used to wear stretch undies under the bathing suit, but the tummy control model replaced that need. The last time I was in Fla, I found 2 suits that fit perfectly, and then I ordered 2 more....exactly the same, but now those are getting quite shabby. I dread looking for bathing suits.

Doctors seem to be putting the stoma at waist or above waist level these days, which must make it difficult for you guys who would like to go shirtless. There are "binders" sold that might work for you.....Just wrap it around the pouch, secure it, and you're ready to go. That way, you can get sun on your chest and shoulders while covering up the pouch. There's snow on the ground, and it's freezing here, and we're talking bathing suits!!! What fun.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
sunasea

So is your stoma below, on or above your waistline?