Anyone with a continent ileostomy?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice for individuals with a continent ileostomy, providing support and insights for managing daily life with this type of ostomy.
littlered1

Does anyone here have a continent ileostomy? I have had one since 1980, having had a conventional ileostomy for four years and deciding to have the conversion. I realize so much has changed in the options available in the last 38 years, but I was just wondering if anyone else has one?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Zappo

I've got mine at the Mayo Clinic in 1979. Have you had your shoulder surgery?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
littlered1

Thanks for responding! I got mine first at Mt. Sinai in NYC, and after two repairs, went to the Cleveland Clinic for the third revision. I haven't had any problems since. How are you doing?

Zappo

My last repair was also at the Cleveland Clinic. No problems for the last six years. Did you have your shoulder surgery?

Zappo

I've been having shoulder pain and thinking of going to a doctor. Never thought about how I would handle surgery.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Zappo

One last comment. If you are on Facebook, there are two groups for continent ileostomies. Just search for Koch Pouch. Lots of collective wisdom.

littlered1

Oh, thanks for the info! I will check that out. I live in an area where the medical community is clueless about the CI, so I feel isolated and insecure. I may need any medical care. I thought I might need a hysterectomy and was worried about that, but so far, that's not an issue!

Who did your Kock pouch? Dr. Fazio did mine at CC in 1981.

And yes, I had major shoulder surgery almost four years ago. Did I post that on here? I don't remember that - lol! It was very challenging, for many reasons. I'm doing fine now. However, my yoga practice and teaching have changed quite a bit.