Need help regaining weight after surgery - any suggestions?

Replies
Views
Harley

I'm not able to consume enough food to regain my weight and strength after losing 30+ lbs due to surgery. I am drinking Boost and eating often, having small meals, but I need more. Do you have any suggestions on what to eat or anything that may help?

Past Member

I don't know how long post-surgery you are, but I had the same problem. I lost 50 pounds and still had no appetite and was force-feeding myself, but it was not helping. I discussed with the doc, and he said drink protein drinks, take vitamins, and eat anything you can tolerate. If this doesn't help enough, then medicinal THC will help. Well, lo and behold, it helped, but I was eating a lot of junk food. I gained back 30 pounds and stabilized it at 200 pounds. I no longer use the THC regularly but only on days I feel really bad as it also helped with pain and sleep. In my case, it took a few months to gain pounds back, but it will happen. Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,451 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

Eat pie.

dadnabbit

While in the hospital, the nurses added strawberry ice cream to my strawberry boost to make a milkshake. It helps with the flavor, too.

Peace

Nancy

annofsd

I don't know about gaining weight, but when I had my colostomy a few years ago, everything I ate just rushed right through me and didn't stay long enough for me to get any nutrients from it. Then I started taking loperamide (diarrhea med) with each meal, and that slowed down my digestion so that now I get the nutrition I need and my stools are solid and manageable. (I don't try to gain weight, but I'm sure I could if I wanted to.) You can buy loperamide on Amazon, where it is much cheaper than the name brand Imodium.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Jenerprise

Good morning.

I lost over 50 lbs as well between my surgeries, colostomy, and just recently a takedown.

There were three things that got me through the really bad days - Carnation Instant Breakfast drinks, Starbucks Sous Vide Egg Bites, and Zofran.

When you start feeling better and exercising more, your appetite will improve and the weight will come back, I bet.

Jen

ptilley01

Ice cream. I was down to 110 lbs after surgery and I ate ice cream every day after surgery for about 3 weeks and I gained all my weight back and more. Enjoy.

freedancer

I am sort of in the same boat, albeit I am not real upset about losing the weight. I am just having a rough time with the diet. It seems as though everything makes "Maxine" angry these days, but I have found a product called Spruteen that is a high protein powder that can be mixed with milk and other ingredients. I like the Chocolate/Peanut butter type as I can put extra peanut butter with it or a banana. I have it for breakfast and then regular meals after that. I have been able to maintain my weight and not lose more. I get this product at the health food store here in my town. I hope you can find some relief from your issue. Pamela.

vollovr

Hello, my days pass so quickly due to short bowel syndrome that I have to take medication to slow it down. The only thing that worked for me is codeine, which I hate taking but it's the only thing that I can time to work. I take it half an hour before meals and it keeps me out of the bathroom for a couple of hours so my food absorbs better and I am able to maintain a normal weight. I've tried lomotil, imodium, and paragoric, but none worked. Marijuana will give you an appetite.