Seeking advice for 1st year of ileostomy - dealing with anxiety and pain after eating

In this discussion
Replies
Views
AussieOstomy

Hi, I'm hoping I may get some advice or tips. I suffer from anxiety since surgery. I'm very happy with the surgery as it is much better than what I was going through, however, I have found there are a lot of niggly issues that I have to learn about and get used to. They still have me in the hospital a great deal due to complications and pre-surgery health issues. I have found I suffer pain on the right and left side of abdo back and front. It makes me hesitant at times to eat due to significant pain after eating. At present, I am on a low fiber/soft diet. Has anyone out there been through something similar? Thanking you

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,108 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Wireless Router

First of all, I think your emotions are creating a bundle of problems for you. I had that same surgery in October 2017, and I returned to work in January 2018. Being that I'm 57 years old, I've never had any problems with my health. Being in control of your emotions is so important, especially with having to wear a colostomy bag. First, you need to be grateful that you're alive and not allow your situation to control you. I initially thought that my life would be permanently altered for the worst, but it hasn't. Yes, I've learned what not to eat while out socially because it could make the bag get extremely large or fill up with gas. But other than that, I'm feeling fantastic. Again, getting in control of your emotions will eliminate some of your physical problems. "No pity parties for myself." If you need support, please feel free to personally email me. Make changes today!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AussieOstomy

Hi, yes, I am very grateful for all I have, most definitely, and like you, I have resumed work.

I had previously fought a pretty tough battle with stage 3 bowel cancer, septicemia, and life support, though atm it's getting used to the ileostomy. I have had complications with it, and just trying to get things back on track can be difficult. I realize all part of the first year, but it can still cause some significant anxiety and concerns.

Bill

Hello AussieOstomy. Sorry to hear about your ongoing problems. It is crtainly not easy coping with anxiety when you keep needing to return to hospital for more issues as this will sometimes bring to the fore and add to some of the anxieties already experienced in the past. These sorts of chronic conditions tend to be easier to cope with emotionally, if there are indicators of it getting better over time. However, when there are constant complications, it can feel as if it will never get better. Wireless Router is right to say that it is useful to gain control of your emotions but that is easier said than done when repeated problems and pain keep bringing the negative emotions back. This repetition of physical  problems tends to focus the mind back on the negatives and distracts from anything neutral or postive.  There is also a likelihood that elements of doubt and lack of confidence about getting better can creep into the subconscious, which can predispose us to frustration and possible negativity. Just as the pain and illness distract us away from positivity, one counterbalance to this trend is to find things to distract us towards things which are likely to be more positive.  We each have our own preferences in  this regard so it is not easy to guess what those things might be for you. It might be worth noting (again) that having major surgery and chronic problems can be 'traumatic', which can lead some people to having Post Traumatic Stress. This is a condition that is much harder to contain by 'Do It Yourself' techniques and may need professional intervention to set people on the path to 'recovery'.  It should perhaps be borne in mind, that having repeated chronic conditions does predispose people to mental stress and this is a 'natural', understandable response to what they are having to cope with medically.   My own expertise has been in the field of helping people to understand and control their wayward negative emotions and I have developed some simple, common-sense ways of approaching this, which includes finding things to 'distract' us from focussing on the negatives. To get a feel for this approach, you might like to read through a previous lengthy conversational post, conducted under the title 'Gratitude', which can coveniently  be found as the first listed item in the CONTENT section within 'POPULAR BLOGS'.  If you wish to ask any further questions about the emotional control aspects, I will be pleased to try to help.

Best wishes

Bill 

AussieOstomy

Thank you, Bill,

You are exactly correct. As I have been through some very major health experiences prior to the ileostomy, and as much as I am happy with it, I have considered there could be some post-stress involved. I was in ICU for some time after surgery, and even though ICU is not new to me, it is still a somewhat unnerving experience. Thus, this is something I have been thinking of and have been attempting as much as I can when home in keeping the mind active, plus commenced exercise. Getting used to the different way in which the body works, the weight loss, diet, etc., is what I find challenging at times. The hospitalizations I now find are a def trigger and heighten the anxiety. Thank you, I shall look into your posts. I appreciate your kindness. Take care

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

Hello AussieOstomy. With all your distractions and activities, it sounds as if you are on the right road to recovery. One tip which might help, is that 'emotions' are 'instincts' by another name. These instincts can be valuable in primitive, life-saving situations but they can be 'wrong' (or at least distorting)  in the context of modern, artificial, complex environments. I have found that 'logic' and 'common-sense' is often a good counterbalance to wayward emotions and you seem to have plenty of that to focus on.  So you should be okay - as long as that takes priority over the negative emotions.

Best wishes

Bill