Rectal Stump Surgery

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Lynzi_merrygold

I'm looking for some advice regarding anyone who has had their rectal stump removed.

I've been having a lot of problems with it recently. I had a scope done last week but they couldn't go through with it as it was so uncomfortable. I have to go for another one under anesthesia, but the talk of surgery has been brought into it. I met with the surgeon today and they filled me in on what would happen. My main worry is they said it would be very difficult to have kids after having this surgery. As I am only 19, this is a really big deal to me as kids have always been something I've wanted. Has anyone else had the surgery and still been able to have children? I really just want to get as much information as possible before taking things further. Thanks

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

sosweet

Hi Lynzi_merrygold

I have a permanent ileostomy because of Crohn's. I had my colon and rectum removed 29 years ago. 25 years ago, I had a son born by emergency c-section because I had placenta previa and my kidneys had shut down. His lungs and my lungs were filling with fluid, we really had no choice. He was 10 weeks premature and weighed only 3lbs. He was in neo-natal intensive care, and I was in intensive care as well, for weeks afterwards. My son is 6ft tall now and has no complications from his premature birth. I know over the last 25 years, medical advances have improved for high-risk pregnancies and births. My journey was a blessed one, but I know not all are as lucky as I have been. Hope this helps and good luck!

Darlene

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Poobag17

Ok, so I'll give you a male's perspective. So I had my ostomy installed 20 years ago. I never was sure if I would reconnect, therefore I left the stump intact. I was 15. I hit a point where I knew my main purpose in life was to raise a family. So with that as the bulk of the weight behind my decision, I waited until my family arrived, a 3-year-old boy now and a 9-month-old girl. Check. I didn't want to risk losing that opportunity. So I waited. 6 weeks ago, I had the removal surgery done.

I comment on this for a few reasons, mainly because there are similar risks when it comes to reproductive abilities for men as well, but also in that there really wasn't any urgency in my case to have it removed. My one and only recent scope showed no indication of anything to be worried about, and post-op biopsies showed nothing precancerous either - after 20 years. That's me. Anyways, I'm still in the process of digesting the situation, so pick my brain if you have any questions.