Mucus from Back Passage after Colostomy - Seeking Advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice on managing mucus discharge from the back passage after colostomy surgery.
Rayofsunshine

Hi, I wondered if anyone has experienced mucus from the back passage after a colostomy? This is happening every two weeks and as I have no control over my bowel muscles, I am not able to hold it in until I get to the loo. It is making me miserable and not wanting to go out unless I can be sure to be near a loo. I have to carry a change of clothing as well as my stoma bags. I have been advised to use an enema once a week, but this is the reason I had the colostomy in the first place. I have used enemas for 30 years and thought I was finished with all that.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hermit

Had severe mucus. Like you, couldn't go public. About 6 months, it stopped! All of this takes time,

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Sasquatch

Yes, mucus passage is normal if you still have the rectum and anus intact. It still continues to try and do its job. If you don't ever plan on or can't have a reconnection, removal of what you have left in the back end might be worth looking into. I had my ileostomy done about a year and a half ago, I still have mucus discharge every day. I'm hoping to have my rectum and anus removed this fall.

Rayofsunshine

Thanks for your reply. Seeing a surgeon in September, so hopefully they will recommend the operation.

Bill

Hello Rayofsunshine. Gresat question and some good replies. This subject comes up regularly and there are previous posts you might be intersted in - to be found in 'Premium Content'.

Best wishes

Bill

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Donz14

Hi

I believe everyone gets this to some extent unless you have had the full opportunity to remove your rectum. See if this website helps:)

http://www.colostomyuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/CA021-04v01r00-Rectal-Discharge.pdf

Newbie Dana

Use a panty liner or sanitary pad (especially the non-bulky ones), just placed a bit farther toward the rear. If you use the pads with wings, it holds everything securely in place. Then don't worry about mucus discharge, and go about your day securely, just like when you have (or used to have - not sure of your age) your period. Truly works. Don't sweat it. And it's a lot less trouble than using an enema!

Lt. Dan

That is totally normal, I wish I had it every two weeks. I was having it every other day for 9 months. I just had my rectum (20cm removed) what was left from my original surgery. It was inflamed and bleeding with severe bleeding for the past 9 months. No meds could stop it. My anus was removed also on May 28th. I'm recovering now at home. Was in the hospital for 11 days. Then released with a small infection then back in to the hospital 3 days later. It was a terrible experience. 7 days more in the hospital to get the infection under control. Now I'm doing much better.

Lt. Dan

That is totally normal, I wish I had it every two weeks. I was having it every other day for 9 months. I just had my rectum (20cm removed) what was left from my original surgery. It was inflamed and bleeding with severe bleeding for the past 9 months. No meds could stop it. My anus was removed also on May 28th. I'm recovering now at home. Was in the hospital for 11 days. Then released with a small infection then back in to the hospital 3 days later. It was a terrible experience. 7 days more in the hospital to get the infection under control. Now I'm doing much better.